I think I hate....

I have been struggling with somthing for a long time. I think I hate girls,when I was pregnant I would get so pissed off thinking what if I have a girl. Girls were always so mean to me,even now. I DONT want one. Im going to have a step-daughter soon I LOVE her dearly but she wants a little sister,I still cringe at the idea of giving birth to a girl.What is wrong with me? Has anyone felt this way?

samie-apple

Asked by samie-apple at 3:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry :-( I think this is similar to how some women who were abused are afraid to raise boys. Not all feel that way, but sometimes they do (or, on the flip side, if they were abused, some are afraid to have girls because they're afraid the girl could be abused.

I know it's hard, but maybe try to look at it like this - the girls who were mean to you, and who are still mean to you, were raised by their parents to be allowed to be that way. Any daughter you have, YOU will be the one raising, and teaching her what is an is not acceptable, what's hurtful and mean, etc. She won't be like those that have hurt you - and in fact, she could be someone who could be a positive impact on someone else who might be being hurt by someone else. Just like your new step daughter - she's not a nasty person, right? :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with sailorwifenmom. It would be totally different raising your own child. But don't have a child for your step child. Have a child if you and your SO want one.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Just know that you will raise a daughter that will be caring and NOT a mean girl. She will be a great girl with your guidance. Have faith in yourself!
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 7:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I've had 2 boys (the first was stillborn so I REALLY wanted our second to be a boy too) and when I got pregnant again, I totally didn't want a girl. At all. I was different though, more crabby and sore and irritable. We don't find what we're having, so when she was born, for a tiny split second I was disappointed. It took a little bit to bond with her, while with my son it was instantaneous. There were other factors though, like she wasn't the greatest sleeper and I was worried about my son with a new little sister.

But I look at her now that she's a year old, and she is just so sweet and funny and exactly like me. I love her so much. She just makes me so happy. I can't even describe it. This has been a hard year for me, but she has been this great little ray of sunshine.

I also said I would never buy pink. While she does have a lot of non pink clothes, she does have her fair share of pink.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 9:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2011