Breast Feeding in Public... adult content

Ok, so I was watching an episode of Charmed that I had never seen before, where Piper is breastfeeding her son at a restraunt and the jackass of a waiter makes her leave. I want to know what CM feels about breastfeeding in public.

When I was breastfeeding my little girl, I breastfed in public places, although I did make sure I was compleatly covered. In some public places they provide a comfortable spot to nurse and I was happy to use those places when they were provided but, in their absence, I nursed in public. I feel that it is your problem if you look at a breastfeeding woman and see it as something sexual then that is your problem. It is not something sexual, it is the most natural thing in the world. The only time I have ever had someone complain, I just responded with "Would you rather me nurse her or listen to her scream until I am finished eating and ready to leave? Your choice. I don't care either way."

Breastfeeding is not something sexual unless you make it something sexual. What do you think?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I cant even fathom the thought of breastfeeding as something sexual. the people who think its sexual have serious issues! I don't care when women breastfeed in public, just as long as they are covered, if they dont cover themselves it makes me feel awkward. Some get all snooty "ITS NATURAL" well no-duh its natural but have some respect of other peoples feelings no one wants to see your stretch marked boobies and oversized areolas regardless of how natural breastfeeding is
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 4:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i put a like on somthing on facebook and this reminded me of it again. lol. "if breastfeeding offends you, put a blanket over YOUR head" i agree. my step mom used to make me go into the backroom when my brothers friends came over if i was feeding my baby. it always drove me crazy.
    amythist615

Answer by amythist615 at 5:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My sister actually had a man in a shopping mall see her breast feeding and ask her "How would you feel if my girlfriend pulled out my penis and started giving me a blow job." She replied with "See you in about three seconds." It's saying stupid thinks like that that brings down the cruve for the entire country.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 5:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• LOL You basically described me when I was still breastfeeding. I didn't care who was around or where I was, if she was hungry, she ate.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I didn't Bf last time long enough to do it in public. This time I will BF longer and will eventually probably need to do it in public. (I saw that charmed show too btw. :) )

Anyway I'll cover for MY sake, no one else's. I don't like to be a spectacle and regardless of how natural it is, Bfing in public draws attention. I love what your sister said to that guy though!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Btw its good to go over (and perhaps keep a copy of) your state's breastfeeding laws.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• breastfeeding should be seen as totally normal. if the baby is hungry it has to eat. but moms should definitely cover up and not be flashing people!
    josi_g

Answer by josi_g at 7:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with you!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I WILL breastfeed wherever and whenever my child is hungry. And I also refuse to cover up. If done properly, you will not even be able to realize I am nursing. I will NOT go into a bathroom full of germs. I will NOT sit out in a hot car. I will NOT alienate myself just because someone might catch a glance of side boob while my child eats.

Oh and I will not use a cover just to keep people from seeing a "stretch mark or areola". (Which BTW, you cannot see all of that when someone nurses)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I always liked to stay covered just for my own modesty's sake, but on hot days in an un-airconditioned space it was too hot for my son to go under anything to nurse. He would only nurse for a few minutes, and then be hungry again less than half an hour later. So I breastfed uncovered at these times and didn't care if people were looking. If a guy can get off seeing my nasty stretch marks, more power to him. He's the one getting a smack when his wife/girlfriend catches him gawking :) As for the guy who was talking about his penis, I would have called mall security and had him arrested for sexual harrassment. Make him think twice about being such a pig. And I would have shown up at every one of his court appearances to make sure he was punished for it. There is NOTHING sexual about breastfeeding. Breast aren't a sex toy, they are mammary glands made to feed your baby, for crying out loud.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2011