Military

I joined the military in 1995. I love my job. I know that some people are against the military and as long as they keep their opinions to themselves.

Please please please....no matter how you feel about the military. Don't walk up to someone in uniform and verbally attack them for what they do. It is what they do that gives you the right for free speech.

edit - I don't do it for the Thanks.  I do it because I love my country and my job.  I do it because I want a better life for my kid.  Thanks is appreciated.  I did have one lady come up and hug me and tell me thank you.  I have had more positive experiences than negative ones.  But those negative ones sure stick with you.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Has people done that to you? My DH was in the army for 20 years and never had that happen to him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Woohoo, me to! I haven't been in that long. But dang. Military is the reason they are allowed to say those things in the frist place! When ever I hear of this crap happening I think of the country song "Bumper of my SUV" by Chely Wright, have you heard it? It's awesome! And thanks for your service momma!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Oh my god, It's 1973 all over again.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My son and I saw a soldier at the grocery store the other day, he was loading his groceries into his vehicle...my son was like "WOW MOM!! There's a soldier!!!" I asked if he would like to go talk to him, he said YES!! So we went up, and I said "Sir, my son would like to shake the hand of an American Soldier....would you mind? The soldier said, Of course not! Hey little buddy, how are ya?? I think my son was a little awe struck...lol. He told the soldier thank you, and I said thank you for all you do, we appreciate it more than you will ever know...and God bless you.... He said " Thank you ma'am, it's my pleasure, and God bless you and your son also..." I got a tear in my eye and walked away...Soldiers have a special place in my....our hearts....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It is really sad when this happens. I've seen the military and military wives bashed here on cm.

I would like to add something pleasant though. Last Saturday night was the big state military ball. It was held in a very nice hotel with a restaurant and bar. After the ball was over a few people were down in the bar still in full ball attire..gowns and mess dress...probably 20 people or so. There were 2 young guys there and they bought a drink for every last one of us. It was a wonderful gesture and the perfect ending to a fantstic evening.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My husband has told me that when he came home from a deployment, and landed in Maine, there was a "welcome" party of people who would curse and spit on the soldiers. It boils my blood, and I want to go up there and kick the crap out of those people for treating the soldiers that way!

Thank you, OP, for your service to this country!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We were a Military family for 21 years and I haven't seen any disrespect toward those in uniform.
    Every time I see a uniformed military man or woman,I thank him or her.
    I just wish they could all be brought home now. So many have died.....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm retired military, have a son now serving and I have nothing but great respect for you and ALL military, active and retired. Thank-you for your service! God Bless!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thank you for your service! People fail to realize that the military is ORDERED to do things they don't even want to do sometimes. If someone is mad about it, they need to take it up with the politicians who ORDERED the miltary to go.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I always thank military. Thank you
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011