For those that believe the world is taking "Christ" out of everything

What does this say to you? Do you believe that we will all become one in Christ or is it the worlds way of speaking out and saying that we all have different beliefs and it is time to separate it from every day life and keep it in your homes and churches? There is no need to bad mouth a religion no matter what it is but I am just curious here, would you throw a fit if you would see a Jewish icon or symbol dominate the world instead of the Christian way? Maybe sometimes we need to take a step back and see the big picture that we are all human and have many beliefs but it doesn't mean we are wrong or that it should be thrown in to others?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think those people who want "Christ" in everything are missing the point. It's not about making your personal religious convictions dominate the secular world, it's about the personal aspect of being able to live in every part of our lives with love and grace, not about forcing our faith down people's throats by insisting our iconography or what have you be displayed everywhere. Not allowing school, for example, advocate Christianity does not mean that Christians aren't free to believe as they please, to pray as they please, to bring their Bibles and read them to themselves if they please, to try to live each moment as a "Christ-conscious" individual. It does nothing to impose on the individual freedom of Christians, it merely respects the freedom of the other individuals as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Well, I don't think it's possible to "keep my religion at home," if I am living what I believe. That said, I don't go door to door trying to convert others, but I don't think I should have to hide the cross I wear daily. I don't find it offensive to see Jewish symbols out & about... I don't get worked up when I drive past the Mosque near my home... and I generally try to be polite to the "missionaries" who occasionally knock on my door. People in general are far too easily offended in my opinion, no where in the laws & documents of this country is it written anywhere that "you have the right to never be offended."

DangerousMommy

Answer by DangerousMommy at 8:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As for taking Christ out of everything... the world is only able to "remove" him on the surface... there's proof of that in the huge resurgence of the Orthodox Church in Russia and other communist countries after communism fell. Those oppressed people kept the faith in quiet, silently hidden in their hearts & homes until they were allowed back into the light of day and given church buildings again.
    DangerousMommy

Answer by DangerousMommy at 8:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm always confused why so many Christians act as if they're being forced to hide their faith. DangerousMommy, you mentioned having to hide the cross you wear daily. Are you really being forced to hide that, because I can't imagine that is happening anywhere in the US. There is definitely no lack of churches to attend, and our country still recognizes Christmas and Easter as national holidays although they really have become cultural holidays, imo, children can pray in school (contrary to popular belief), so I don't see this supposed oppression at all. I do see where school, for instance, has become a secular institution to accommodate all the many faiths living in our nation. Accommodating others by making certain institutions neutral is no oppression by any means. It's always been my understanding as a former Christian that Christ dwells within oneself, so how can he be "taken away"?
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Christi is still personally in everything for me- I only need the freedom to practice- I do not govt validation or permission-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think it is just the sign of the times. Taking Christ out of everything to me makes it easier for non believers to try and forget the teachings of Christ. I dont forget them myself, and I teach my children them. My kids also know they are entitled to believe what they want, and say Merry Christmas or whatever else they want to, to whoever they want to. Its a free country last time I checked right? If someone doesnt want to say Merry Christmas, or have Christ in their lives then to me, thats on them. It doesnt change me, my beliefs, or the fact I am raising my children in Christ.

Answer by gemgem at 8:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• First off, I'm curious as to why you put Christ in quotation marks. Do I believe we will all become one in Christ? No, I sure don't. I realize that this country has become very diverse, but there are way more Christians than not. Go to a country that worships Buddah. You will see Buddah everywhere. Even though there are lots and lots of people in that country that do not worship Buddah, it doesn't matter--Buddah is still all over the place. It's very different here for some reason. Here, issues are made over the dumbest things. Don't say "Merry Christmas" because not everybody believes in Christ and they might get offended. Now Easter eggs are supposed to be called "Spring Spheres"? Gimme a friggin break. IMO, what's "being shoved down everybody's throat" is tolerance--a word that I've grown incredibly sick of hearing. But, so be it. Tolerance is what's going to lead us into a One World Religion.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm not starting drama either. Just curious to see how many would open their eyes and see that maybe religion is better off in private?
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think allot of places are TRYING to take Christ out of everything, but I think it's a matter of so many different religions that being neutral is th only way to NOT offend anyone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree vbruno. i think that is the bigger picture in all honesty. I think it is for the best you know? Who knows, maybe this could be a good thing.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011