Is there anyone who has had a baby or child that needed ECMO?

My sin was born perfectly healthy. 9-10 apgars, 7lbs 4oz, I mean absolutely great. After his bath however he began to have trouble. So much trouble in fact that 3 hospitals later he was on something called ECMO. He had Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension and his case was iodiopathic. I know NO ONE who's child went through this and I feel so alone going through the struggles even the triumphs.

BlondieMommyof3

Asked by BlondieMommyof3 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Health

• I am sorry for everything that you are going through. I myself have never been put in this situation so I can not give you any advise regarding it. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you and your family the best of luck.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I work at a children's hospital and we often have to put kids on ECHMO. I wish I could relate to you in some way...I know the process of what your son is going through, I myself am a mom and can't imagine how hard it is for you. Do they have an anticipation date for when he will be off?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• He is home now, he was on ECMO for 9 days and in the hospital for a total of 6 weeks exactly. Now I am going through all the trials and tribulations of physical therapy and neuorlogical testing. I'm just so unsure of what to expect or what the future holds.
    BlondieMommyof3

Answer by BlondieMommyof3 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Hang in there mom.. my little boy was just taken off ECMO...and so far so good. sorry to hear your story..we had something similar happen. glad to hear you and your baby are home now, we have been in the NICU for a week now..and your story gives us hope.
    kiwigoddess

Answer by kiwigoddess at 9:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010