Did you hear about the 2 girls in MN who commited suicide?

What a tragedy this is. Bullying seems to be over taking our youth. I have had problems with my 10yr old ds being bullied and was up at the school everyday until it was taken care of. When things like this happen, it makes me want to put my children all in bubbles and never let them leave my house. So sad for those 2 families, they will be in my prayers today.

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe part of the problem is the schools themselves. These days if a student is hurting another student physically, the injured student cannot defend themselves, if they do, they are suspended which is the SAME punishment given to the one who was doing the injury. If a student is being bullied, they go to the counselor. The counselor then talks to the offending child/children and gives them detention. Another offense, another detention, If it keeps up, the offender is suspended but then their friends bully the child who complained. While all this is going on, if the bullied child says anything considered nasty back to the one doing the bullying, they are in just as much trouble as the bully. In other words, the way the schools handle it is NOT working. Perhaps if we allowed children to defend themselves some of it would stop. Bullies bully the ones who cannot or will not (for whatever reason) (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I see examples of bullying by PARENTS right on this site. Teaching tolerance starts at HOME. When some parents stop being judgemental and mean, then their kids will too. Live your life as if your child is watching even when they are not there. Children learn by example. be the RIGHT example and children will follow.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Very sad, but I would like not only punishment for bullies, but a program in place to identify high risk children and teens who might commit suicide. Kids are bullied everyday and its a sad fact, but not all of them go to these extremes. As a psych major I have to think that there is more going on with these children killing themselves that needs to be identified before their depression leads to such an extreme.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Very sad story, I heard it on Robin Meade Morning Express. Bullying is getting to be a bad epidemic, but I teach my kids to turn the other cheek. Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but your words will never hurt me, but if it becomes physical, that is when me and dad step in and file criminal charges...period!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Bullying has always been a problem its just now FINALLY getting national attention it desperately needs. My mom born in '57 was bullied b/c she wore glasses among other things. Kids will pick for anything and everything, I think we also need to help our children by teaching them how to react and manage their feelings when this happens to them.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• simple frown

L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Something needs to be done about it thats for sure. it's 2011 for crying out loud! 2 more senseless deaths because some kid's felt the need to bully.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Where are the parents of these bullies? What makes a child turn into a bully? Are they learning this behavior at home or at school? That's what I want to know. I can not even imagine what I'd do if I found out my ds/dd was being a bully to someone.
    lovinlifewith5

Comment by lovinlifewith5 (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• NO, I didn't hear about it, but it is horrible! How sad. My heart breaks for what those girls had to go through and now for the parents, friends and family.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• So sad and unnecessary. We are keeping our minds open to home school in case bullying becomes a big problem for us (among other reasons).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011