When do you check your childs school bag?

Right when they get home?
Before 5pm?
After they go to bed?

GreenUtopia

Asked by GreenUtopia at 7:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont have school age children but have my sisters kids mon-fri until 8:30ish at night and I check theirs as soon as they get off the bus.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• As soon as I pick him up from the bus. We go through his backpack on the way home. He is in 2nd grade and gets a weekly homework packet on Mondays, but I check his bag every day just to be sure he's not forgotten to give me something.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I TRY to look thru her stuff when she gets home but sometimes it is abour 500, after the kids I babysit leave....lol
    Maddiesmommy123

Answer by Maddiesmommy123 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I check right when they get home. Usually they take out their home work and I go through the rest of it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• As soon as he gets home
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I pick my daughter up from school and check it before we leave.
    AbbysMom2001

Answer by AbbysMom2001 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I check her bag as soon as I get home from work. It's best to check it as soon as possible. If not your sure to find homework in there that they forget to tell you about.
    Lu62

Answer by Lu62 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I wouldn't do it right when he got home. I would give my child at least some down time. Then we would check it together after he has had a snack and played a little. Then when we check his bag together I like the idea of making a plan. We will do this now, that right before dinner, and this one a little bit after dinner. This way my child knows I know what the homework load is and there are no surprises. Also a good time to teach time management skills. If they see us rushing in the morning and then checking the bag I believe it sends the message that mom can be forgetful so I can too. Planning is important and teaching that to them young is helpful.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son actually liked me to check it as soon as he got home. He would bring me a pen too to make sure I sign his agenda. Sometimes he would do the homework while he was in the van. He is so fast! Definitely check it everyday - I have seen backpacks go unchecked for weeks when I volunteer at school.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 1:18 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• As I walk home from the bus stop or else I forget. That way I get her notes or anything I have to reply too!
    Skippytrini

Answer by Skippytrini at 9:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2008