Moms who use drugs

Should parents who use illegal drugs on a regular basis be allowed to keep their kids? Do you think those kids are really getting the care they deserve? I am not just talking about marijuana. I am talking about all drugs. What about parents who are alcoholics and spend more time drunk than sober?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Alcoholics and drug addicts do NOT make good parents
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Nope...CPS should take the children away.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think they should get help ( counseling, AA, parenting classes...) and be given the chance to raise there kids in a better situation with out them leaving the home. Unless of course the kids have been put into immediate danger. Just drinking or doing drugs where no physical or mental harm is being done doesn't make any sense especially if there is another parent in the home who is sober.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As long as they care properly for their kids and they are their first priority, the govt should keep their paws off them. I know a lot of good moms and dads that are pot heads, and have raised productive and wonderful adults. Now, if there are drugs preventing parents from doing good by their kids, yes, go for it, they should be in an environment that will make them flourish not bring them down.

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My father was a functioning alchie and when it was all said and done I am glad no one came and got me I was the one who took care of me, I worked went to school with bruises and learned I could survive anything. I think if there is a part of their family that can take them in and raise them its a plan. If they have to go into the system at least care will be given to them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, if your children see you doing drugs or always getting drunk guess what they think is okay?! get cleaned up and THEN take care of your kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• they're not allowed to keep their kids if they do hard drugs...

But, my sisters friend was reported for smoking pot & they DID let her keep her kids. They made her take a 2 week course about drugs & that was it. They drug tested her for 2 months. She never got her kids taken away.

Since both my parents were pot heads (i found out as an adult) Harvard graduates & very successful, i can't say that parents who smoke pot are all bad parents. My parents rock & raised us all very well.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i think alcohol is bad...people make very bad choices when drunk. I have a few friends who drink daily & it boggles my mind. At least ONE parent has to stay sober!

I have a friend who has a 3 year old & they are drinking while the child is still awake. They are not just having a few beers either, they are getting drunk. I'm having a hard time, but i feel like saying something to them. I know i would get chewed out & told to MYOB...but man....it just really urks me! What if their child has to go to the emergency room & they are drunk? So irresponsible....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have seen what drugs do , I have some in laws that do drugs and it is all they think about, the kids do without food, they get foodstamps and will take people to the store buy them food in exchange for a pill, all the money they do get goes to pills and paying people back for pills they got on loan, they steal from everyone (including stealing my expensive camera,my dd's nintendo ds, my watch,) and because I didn't see them take it ,I couldn't press charges, they lay in the bed unless they are on the pill hunt, their kids (very young) fend for themselves and act like wild animals because they have no one to teach them better, cps has come out on them a lot ,they lie and so does their parents and cps lets it go, it makes me sick to see the kids suffer like they do but what else can you do if cps won't do anything? but my opinion on it is no they shouldn't be allowed to have kids, I know these people neglect theirs...
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No women should grow up and take care of their kids or don't have any in the first place!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2011