If you could see the man behind the curtain, would you still suport him?

A friend of mine is working as campaign manager for someone running for a district position in another part of town. Since I'm not in their district, I can't vote for them, but hearing all the little behind the scenes things going on has me far more interested in that race than the one in my own district. In some ways, it's like a tv show, with back door deals and underhanded tactics that never make it into common public knowledge or the evening news. Little things like a meet the candidate event where the host intentionally "forgot" to introduce one of the candidates.

On paper, the candidate she's working for is someone I might vote for, depending what the other options were. Hearing the "behind the scenes" stories change my opinion, even though some of those things aren't really job related, they're still overall indications of character and attitude.

How many of the politicians you support, local or national, do you think you'd still support if you actually got to know them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have heard stories of "shady dealings" in several local elected officials in my area and I can only assume it is on a grander scale with the presidential elections. I mean, the little bit that does leak to the public is usually jaw dropping. Like the saying goes, if you see one rat there will be 50 more....
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't know,but that's an interesting thought. I know there is no such thing as an honest politician, regardless of their beliefs, religion, anything. Even irregardless of the people supporting said candidate. I have no doubt many of us (speaking of myself as well) would be shocked to find out what politicians really do when they think no one's watching (or,it sounds like even if someone is watching). Good post NP, lots of food for thought.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would have to think that if I knew the candidate behind the curtain I probably wouldn't want to vote for them either. It really would come down to the lesser of two evils. Politics is a dirty game and nobody gets through without mud on them. They are all owned by someone and that's the only reason they make it that far.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• if we knew what goes on within the confines of anyone's heart or mind, much less behind the campaign curtain, would we even want to call them friend, much less vote for them? no one is above perfection, and certainly in a race for votes, things are done and said, some intentional, some straight out of human nature, that cause us to pause (hopefully). but, if we vote strictly for 'the lesser of two evils', that evil being the real man we magically knew, rather than the position or job at hand and how well they handled it, i imagine it'd be worse than it is. we like to think we know a person's morals and ethics, and that is PART of how we (assumedly) choose our votes, along with how well we believe they will do what they promise to do, their experience/history, etc. however, we can't ever truly know another person.
    to answer your query...it would depend. moral wrongs or illegal wrongs? one is subjective, the other is not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No one is a perfect candidate so I'd say it depends on what those "behind the stories" pertained to. Moral issues, anti gay, civil rights, how they treated their staff... anything along those lines I would question. If it's about policy, well I would never assume a candidate had all the control in those matters and I understand that I may never agree 100% with a candidate. I also agree with dull, illegal wrongs are one of those "stories" that would turn me off.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Politics is a dirty business. Unfortunately, the people best suited for the position are the ones you'd least likely vote for. It's about charisma and not substance
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Probably not. That's probably true of EVERY politician, which is why I guess it's a good thing I don't have an intimate view of all the goings-on. I'd never vote.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We worked to support Ron Paul and we did see he was a good man and did what he said. We saw there are honest politicians out there.
    And it is a shame the media can turn things around and get people believe the BS so easily.

And we saw others get elected by just kissing ass locally in CO. And they got elected.

But the most important thing was seeing people supporting people just they did not do any research and had no idea who they where voting for.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm Faceook friends with 3 local politicians! I have no problem sending them a supportive message or telling them how I think they're doing in their jobs. I also like to read what they post on their walls. I have yet to be disappointed. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Interesting question NP. We've been learning alot of behind the curtain comings and goings concerning Senator Wu of Oregon. Strange behavior, drug use etc. Would I have voted for him knowing the things I know now, probably not. Only because it sounds like he needs mental health help and I worry is he capable of truly performing his duties.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2011