Hair Loss?

My hair has started falling out and it's getting worse. I'm not bald or anything but I'm afraid to comb my hair or even touch it. I am pretty sure (but not positive) that it's from my birth control. I don't take any vitamins and I know I don't eat as healthy as I should. If it is from the birth control, would taking vitamins help or would my hair fall out regardless? What vitamins should I take for healthy hair? And would I go to a regular doc for this or my gyno who prescribed the bc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Health

• take prenatal vitamins. They make your hair & nails grow. Vitamins may help, but they may not. It's worth a shot.

Have you had a baby recently or weened your baby off of breast milk? It's common for women to lose hair after a baby & also after they ween the baby off breast milk. After i weaned, my hair began to fall out. Luckily, my hair was so thick...so it looks OK now. But, it will never be as thick as it was before i gave birth.

is it coming out in clumps? Do you have bald spots?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• So glad you asked, mine is doing the same!!! I had a baby 3 months ago, and changed shampoo and thought that was it, but it's still coming out in hand fulls and it's so thin to begin with! The BCP is a good thought though, I'm nursing so I take one that is considered okay w/BF, but that could be it too. Its coming out so bad that my poor DH has to unclog the shower drain every other day, yucky!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I you had a kid in the last 3-6 months, it's totally normal.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Could it be hereditary?
    That's in my case I take "Biotin" (vitamins) and use walmarts rogaine (equate-minoxdyl) you can get all this at Walmart.
    Try to eat healthy and drink lots of water oh and don't forget your exercise. GL
    I use moose to help my hair look thick.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My son is 2 and 1/2 so I don't think it's from that. And I don't think it's hereditary.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Mine does that every so often and then stops. I don't get it honestly - I take vitamins and am healthy. My gold wedding ring did turn my finger green at times (I have white gold now) so I always wondered if I was slightly anemic.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It could be anything really. I never lost my hair after giving birth, though everyone swore it would happen. I never lost my hair after stopping breastfeeding. I never lost my hair once I entered my 30's and my 40's like everyone said I would. I never lost hair while on the pill, etc.

Are you dealing with PCOS? Alopecia? Underlying deficiencies?

I would not go to a mainstream doc or a gyno; I'd find a homeopath or holistic doctor because they understand the body much better than allopathic doctors (homeopath would find the root cause and address it from there where the allopathic doctor will likely prescribe something that probably wouldn't work). GL.

Anonymous

• talk to your dr then... it could be the bc
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2011