When is it normal for a child to start being curious about there body?

My daughter asked me what her _ was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As soon as the diaper was replaced with underpants is when my boys discovered their extra limb. Around 3
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 2:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Lol, my 1 year old has discovered his, he's not quite sure what the thing is but he does play with it in the bath!! I think it's important that the kid isn't made to fell that part isn't a 'bad' place for them to play with as it can affect them in later life, it's just natural isn't it to be curious about ourselves :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Any age is normal. It's best to teach them real names and not nonsensical ones. That way they don't get confused as they get older and it makes it all more nature. That begins it being easier to have frank discussions without so much embarassment. As long as they're not overly focussed on it it's all o.k. and they'll ask the questions they're ready to have answered and they'll zone out when you give them too much detail.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 6:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• This is Normal at any age. :)
    Once they find it, they will be curious and want to know.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 8:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2008