I am 42 years old and take zolof. My husband and I are considering having a 4th child. I am concerned about the health of a child since I am older and take zolof. I have only been taking zolof for 5 months. Help! I really want to have anoher child but I don't want to harm the child.

westfallmom

Asked by westfallmom at 9:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Zoloft
    What does your OB/GYN say about all this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You need to weigh the risks. You should not take any antidepressant while preggo. Talk with your Dr about it and see if the Dr thinks you can handle being off the drugs for a pregnancy. Your only option I see is to be off the drugs to get preggo and grow and deliver a healthy baby.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You would probably have to stop taking it during your pregnancy, and throughout breast feeding, if you choose to breast feed.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. For the most part, no, you should not take an antidepressant while you're pregnant, but if it's a more serious case of depression, some doctors might put you on a lower dose of a medication that might be safer. You should get off of Zoloft though, during pregnancy - smaller dose or not.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I breastfeed currently and take Zoloft. My ob/gyn said it was considered the safest o
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• ...sorry about that....

...the safest of the anti depressants. Prozac is for sure a no-no.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Zoloft is generally considered one of the "better" antidepressants to take during pregnancy and the risks, while there, are very low. Read all you can about the drug and its side effects. I suggest starting with the National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health MEDLINE database:
    http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?v%3Aproject=medlineplus&query=sertraline+pregnancy
    For what its worth, I took Zoloft throughout my pregnancy and it had no ill effects on my daughter.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• read all of the side effect warnings yourself...and don't just be concerned about a future baby, be concerned about yourself too. also look up some information on the effectiveness of the antidepressant you are taking, and all of them. i am very sorry about your depressiion. is there any other way to cope? antidepressants in trials, are less effective than sugar pills. are you eating healthy and exercising well? are you getting sunshine? good fats? are you seeing a therapist, and not just a psychiatrist? i wish you the very best of luck and the very best of health.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Zoloft is consider the safest of all antidepressants to be on. It's actually better for the baby to have mom take zoloft throughout pregnancy than to suffer from depression without the medication. Talk to your obgyn, I took zoloft throughout my pregnancies and have 2 healthy little ones.
    Anonymous