Little girl haircut

My dd is 6 and her hair is almost down to her butt. She has always had long hair, she was born with a head full even. She wants to cut her hair. I dont have a problem with it, and this year there has been a horrible lice outbreak at the school. She has already had it twice in 3 weeks. I have had to wash, treat, comb, and clean the entire house from top to bottom so many times I have lost count. That being said I dont mind a hair cut maybe to her shoulders.

Her dad however says no. He says she cannot and will not ever cut her hair to her shoulders while she lives in our house. He doesnt have to manage it, comb it when she gets lice, hair spray it, braid it, or anything I do every day. It takes a good 10 minutes to wash all shampoo out, another 10 to comb it, 15 to dry it to damp, and more to put it up and look nice for school.
I am thinking of just cutting it when he is at work. What would you do?

Asked by gemgem at 9:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• DD used to have hair to her about her waist. She's also 6. DH would protest any time someone suggested she get her hair cut. I just smile sweetly and point out that he and my son hate when their hair gets longer than they think it should be cause it's a pain to care for and/or make look good. I said "When you're willing to grow your hair out to your @## and spend way too much of your life combing it, braiding it, putting it up, combing it again because it gets ratty in no time at all, deal with the heat and weight on your neck, etc you can share your 2cts about what she wants her hair to look like. Until then, it's DD's head and what she wants her hair to look like (and to manage!) ought to have more weight than your opinion." And then we got it cut. She looks adorable with her chin length bob, even he had to admit it. LOL! He gave up his complaints at that point.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Id cut it. who the hell does he think he is? He is NOT doing anything to help keep the kid's hair nice. Its only hair! It grows back!! The child wants it cut to. I say cut it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My husband didn't want his daughters cut either but it looked totally stupid from all the homemade haircuts her grandmother/mom gave her. I got so pissed off trying to fix it for Thanksgiving I went and got the scissors, chopped it off just below her ears, and fixed it. It looked so pretty. I took her that weekend to get it professionally cut. He didn't lay the duck he thought he would.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• For lice, get that rosemary repel shampoo. It's supposed to prevent you from getting lice to begin with.

As for the hair, tell him to take care of it for the next week (washing, combing, brushing, putting it up) then see what his decision is.
    Anonymous

• Well see my problem is kinda like vbruno says I dont know who he thinks he is when it comes to this LOL. If he helped with her hair, or maybe understood just how much work it is, and at 6 it isnt easy for her to comb her hair alone because its so long. If it comes down at school she cant put it back up without help. Then its all raggedy looking. I think a nice bob or cut to her shoulders would be fine, and all the little girls at school are getting that same cut for summer.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Well, that's not how our family works. My husband doesn't have the final say-so or make "rules" about silly things like that. So I cannot say how I would react in that situation.

In general though, I say get it cut. My 5 year old HATES to have her hair brushed in the mornings because of the tangles. We got it cut shoulder length in August and the other day she said "I'm ready to get my hair cut again." :) We'll be going soon!! :) Makes a huge difference.
    TinaMarieWelch

Answer by TinaMarieWelch at 12:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• When I was a little girl I also had REALLY long hair and my father didn't ever want me to cut it, he thought it was so pretty blah blah. I didn't want it short or anything and I really resented him not taking the way I felt into account. It was my hair after all. I had an aunt who is a stylist and she cut it for me and to this day I love her for it:) If your daughter wants her hair to be cut I say talk to your husband and let him know that she feels this way and you think it's a great idea because of all the reasons you mentioned in your post. I wouldn't do it without telling him but I wouldn't let him control the situation either.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 12:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011