18 mo and his "binky"

I am in need of some advice on how to ween an 18 mo from his dear friend, the pacifier. The issue I am having is my 10 week old son also takes a pacifier and I am not quite sure how to ween the older one when he still sees binkies around the house. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 9:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait. With a 10 week old, he may still be feeling a little left out and need the extra comfort that his paci gives him. Limit it to the crib, but wait. My son went from absolutely loving his paci to total disinterest in it overnight around 20 months.

Answer by missanc at 12:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• At 18mths, for me, i'd take it and throw it away, tell him babies use them and now he is big, say bye bye.. There is nothing worse then seeing a big kid walk around with pacifiers in their mouth,,, drives me nuts. It's better to stop it now then when he gets any older!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My oldest son used his bottle like a pacifier. And he was 13 months when brother came along. So there was no taking the bottle away. I waited and about 5 weeks ago, when my kids were 17m and 2 1/2 we threw the bottles in the garbage can and that was that. They no longer got them at nap and bed. And I didn't start a new habbit by giving them cups in bed. They got a cup of milk before bed and that was it. Only took 3 days. But we had tried 3x before and it was a nightmare, neither of them were ready. I know many mom's who also allowed their child to have their comfort until a little later and they did alright when it was gone. I personally would wait a little until the baby doesn't need it, then get rid of both. Your oldest isn't going to get rid of it when a baby is getting one.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• cold turkey easiest fastest way..... remember it does not hurt them to not have it....stick to your plan
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 6:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We made sure they have different brands so we could tell who has which one and let our oldest's "die" out.. when they were lost or needed to be replaced we just didn't replace them. if the last one was lost we didn't look for it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If you allow them to have their paci all day, start transitioning only to bed time.
    2BlondeBabies

• Totally agree with missanc. The older child should be given a little more time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would say to let him get used to being a big brohter for a bit and let him keep it (at night) than ask him if he's willing to let his baby brother/sister have them??? Thats what im planning on doing w/ my daughter! Good luck paci's are a hard one to break!
    PregoMamaHolly

Answer by PregoMamaHolly at 9:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• cold turkey

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011