Anyone see the new show "extreme couponing"? We should all start this to save money on groceries for our families.

Kat52971

Asked by Kat52971 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• For them the couponing is a full-time job. I already have one of those. I cannot devote 3 hours a day to that if I want to sleep. I will clip coupons but never to that extent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have seen it and it puts me to shame..lol I thought i was good! lol What they don't say is why they get 80 mustard? They expire? What do they do with them? Give them away, donate? Same with cereal, 55 boxes really? At one time? The non perishables i can understand, but the food? Seems a bit overboard unless they donate. It has made me step up my couponing!! I was excited when my bill shows i saved 65%-75% guess i have more work to do...lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes and Im sure its a lot of work. I am a housewife and go to school. I am going to take some of the tips I got off of the show and try to start saving some money. We have 5 people in our house and money is tight, so I am going to try to make this my new hobby.
    Kat52971

Comment by Kat52971 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Here is the thing. Not in every area is smaller grocery chains. Where I live there is Walmart and a place called Comet. A further drive away is another grocery store. However, clipping coupons and then checking the stores for their sales takes time. If you have no job, then great. BUT those families are saving soooo much money because they are buying a lot of one item, like who needs 35 bottles of Malox for instance??? Or 100 yogurts, seriously? Unless you have a family of 5 or more then how are you going to eat all that yogurt? You can freeze it, but anyways. I use coupons and have saved up to $20-$30 using them, but only buying things I use, and they are used at Walmart. Oh yeah, plus some grocery stores only double coupons up to $1.00. So if you have a $0.75 coupon you are only going to get $1.00 off, which is a lot still. Some of it is EXTREME, hence the name. But good for them.......
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My husband does that and it saves us a ton but the people from the shows are so extreme they are crazy!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• .... It does make me wonder if so many people start doing this if the printing of coupons will decresase. As well as stores allowing doubling of items.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• yeah i was able to watch an episode of the show the other night..that is so amazing how they are able to do it.... it does get you excited about it!!! i just don't know if i personally would be able to take the time and dedication to be able to cut and find coupons like they do..but i really give them two thumbs up for being able to be so dedicated!!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• if we all did it manufacturer's would stop printing coupons.... outside of that, I don't think I can devote that much time and energy to it.. interesting tho... oh and side note, seriously who needs 100 things of deodorant.. it's too much and really borderline hoarding.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I dont understand how they get so many coupons. How would you know so far in advance what will be a freebie one day with a coupon. I have no idea what's on sale until the ads come out, then I check my coupons. I wish I could SAVE like that. I have a family of 6 and would love free groceries!!
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm not a super couponer, but I can't be - no stores around here double or triple coupons, which is a big thing for the extreme people. I definitely watch the sales ads & whatnot, and I do save some money, but I prefer my own money-saving tactics over extreme couponing - I only buy what we need and not massive amounts of things we'll never use!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011