I feel like I'm getting ripped off

My son who is 3 has serious delays; his speech is at a 16 month level and due to it has behavioral issues. When we lived in miami,Fla unfortunately the state wouldn't pay for mason's special ed speech classes and bills me$ 2,000 every 2wks; I've fought it and the state of FL told me that speech isn't a disability in their budget it's just an unfortunate inconvenience. My mom has even stepped up and has been trying to help me but we're both going to run broke from it.

I just moved back to NJ and I'm trying to get the ball rolling with putting him in the Early intervention program in my town in New Jersey. I can't afford 1,000 dollars a week like FL charged so mason won't be able to go to school til we get him in EIP program.

I feel like the FL speech place is ripping me off to be honest. Does anyone else think so? Is it normal for intensive speech therapy for child with disabilities to be 1000 a week for 5 days a week for 2 hour sessions or are they taking advantage that I'm a 23 yrs old mom under a lot of pressure?

Because I have sadly been mistreated and people have have tried to take advantage of me because of my age and assumptions I'm uneducated because I had Mase at 19 years of age even though I have 2 jobs and a college degree :(

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 9:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• The cost of living is different by state, no idea why but it is.. so you may end up paying 2 grand for something that will only cost 500 in another state or even city in that same state. Look at gas prices and the price of milk where you live.. you will notice a huge change when you move somewhere else.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Oh I def. do; Gas was alot more in Miami my rent was 1,050 in Miami same as my town in NJ but the amount of money is less in fl than NJ yet it adds up to the same cost of living =/
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would contact social services and see if they can help. I'd also go to a preschool and ask them for help with resources.. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My brother did speech 2 times a week fro 2 hours each and that was free
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Florida has a ton of social services I am surprised to hear this... maybe you need to contact child welfare and see what can be done to eliminate the financial costs and still get the help you need.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• They say they wouldn't help because I made too much but yet I can't afford the services I don't understand them; that's why i left FL lol
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You tried to find a place better than FL and you went to NJ? HAhahahahahaha............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2011