4 Week old kitten; how do I get it to use the litterbox. Her first morning here and she pooped on the carpet.

Kat52971

Asked by Kat52971 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pets

• scoop the poop up and put it in the litter box..then place the kitty in the box..it may take a few times
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Scratch her paws in the litter and make sure it is where she can get to it easily.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• 4 weeks is too little to be away from momma. You may have to wipe her hiney with a rag several times a day to stimulate her to go and then wipe it. Most kittens are not taken from momma until 8-10 weeks old. They still nurse until then.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Shouldn't a 4 week old still be with it's mother? Or is the mother also there?
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I just would take the cats every time i thought about it and drop them in the litter box. They will have accidents. scoop up their poop and drop it in the litter box so they have some kind of a smell or okay to come back to and once they use the box scoop everything out so it stays clean
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• 4 weeks is way to young to take a kitten from her mother. She will most likely have issues because she didn't learn enough from her mother. They first learn how to use the litter by watching their mom...

Cats who are taken too young have trouble with cleaning/grooming themselves, using the cat litter, eating right, defending themselves.....the list goes on....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• 4 weeks old is too young to be away from the mother and, therefore, momma may have never of had the chance to teach her kittens what to do.

Place the poo in the litter box and only half cover it with litter. You need to make sure your kitten can get in the litter box and make sure the litter isn't too deep (what is good for a full grown cat isn't good for a 4 week old kitten). I would use clay litter instead of clumping because that will be easier on her tender paws. Make sure the box is in a quiet area where the kitten will have "privacy" but not too far away to where she needs to go looking for it. Place her in the litter box and gently take her front paws and start scratching them into the litter. You may have to do this scratching of the paws a few times before she really gets it...again, she is too young. Good luck.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I always just put the poop in the litter box and they got it very quickly, but 4 weeks may be too young.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with the first answer and some of the others. Take the Poop to the litter box and then put her in the litter box. She will eventually learn. She is still young and too young to be away from her mommy.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 10:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As the others have mentioned 4 weeks is way to young to be taken from the mom. They just start to learn how to use the litter box at 4 weeks. I have found that using the box comes pretty naturally to them. I have fostered many litters many of which I had to bottle raise and I did not have to do much to teach them to use it. Make sure the kitten is able to climb into the box and if she goes outside of it just put the poop in the box. She will figure it out. If you are allowing her to have run of the house that could also be part of the problem because if she is playing and is to far from the box at that point she may not be able to make it to the box.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2011