Getting ripped off?

My son who is 3 has serious delays; his speech is at a 16 month level and due to it has behavioral issues. When we lived in miami,Fla unfortunately the state wouldn't pay for mason's special ed speech classes and bills me$ 2,000 every 2wks; I've fought it and the state of FL told me that speech isn't a disability in their budget it's just an unfortunate inconvenience. My mom has even stepped up and has been trying to help me but we're both going to run broke from it.

I just moved back to NJ and I'm trying to get the ball rolling with putting him in the Early intervention program in my town in New Jersey. I can't afford 1,000 dollars a week like FL charged so mason won't be able to go to school til we get him in EIP program.

I feel like the FL speech place is ripping me off to be honest. Does anyone else think so? Is it normal for intensive speech therapy for child with disabilities to be 1000 a week for 5 days a week for 2 hour sessions or are they taking advantage that I'm a 23 yrs old mom under a lot of pressure?

Because I have sadly been mistreated and people have have tried to take advantage of me because of my age and assumptions I'm uneducated because I had Mase at 19 years of age even though I have 2 jobs and a college degree :(

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 10:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's $100 an hour.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Can't you have him evaluated by the school system? I know my son has to take speech and he was evaluated for free and since he needed it, I just took him once a week to the school for 20 minutes. Now that he is in K, they just pull him out of class once a week. He's doing great. My son's problem is that he doesn't THINK before saying the word. He's a fast talker. Once he THINKS he can say the word. Good Luck. That is CRAZY what your paying!!!

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• When I lived in Miami they did they eval but they wouldn't provide me with services so I had to go to a doctor got a referal and had to pay out of pocket
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't know how FL is legally set up, but in my state, the school system is required to provide all therapy services (including speech) to qualifying children at no cost.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• @mariankenobi--that's how it was in IL and PA when we lived there (and I'm pretty sure in WA where we are now). I thought most states had those programs set up by now. We were referred to our local public school when our middle dd was having speech issues at 3 (since she had aged out of early intervention). We never actually went, though. Her speech progressed on it's own and she is a normal 8 1/2yo now. I can't see how they could deny a child that severly delayed. There was a chance our dd wouldn't have qualified because by the time we were referred she was 3 1/2 and not that far behind any more (she only knew 2 words at 18 months and like 12 words when she turned 2).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011