What is the average life expectancy of a female child with down syndrome?

Child is active and fairly intelligent. Child's single mother with two sibling does not
do anything with child except feed her and get her to school. Child's maternal grandmother is handicapped physically (except when she gets her ssi check and can go shopping). This child is 11 years old and lives in Milwaukee, WI. I am a conercerned aunt.

patsytaylor

Asked by patsytaylor at 8:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Health

• I have taken care of patients with down syndrome well into their 60s who have lived relatively healthy lives. I wouldn't be concerned about that so much as the apparent lack of attention.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• And I should state, that my patients haven't died in their 60s, just that my experience with them was when they were in their 60s...they lived much longer than that, I'm sure.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2008