WHy on Earth do the debates on here always end in name calling?

When you watch a debate on tv do the candidate end up calling each other names? No. lol. The point of a debate to to banter back and forth over a topic. Once name calling starts it is no longer a debate it is a silly cat fight. come on guys. Lets keep them as debates. And, no I didn't get my feelings hurt. It was just an observation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Women are pretty emotional and passionate. Throw us all together, get us debating, and sometimes it turns ugly. We all have an opinion. We all want to be heard. That's just the way it is, I guess.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Agree with fricky29 plus it's easier to name call behind a screen name.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• LOL...imagine being in an all woman's prison...ugh!

i like to think the debate or conversation isnt valid anymore if there's any name calling, the person that name called doesnt have anything else to say so they go straight for a childish behavior.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Isn't it mostly the same few people that resort to name calling? Most of the debaters do debate, there are just a few that prefer the cat fights. And most everyone knows whe they are and prepares for them.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• What I wonder is why the OP doesn't close out the question after it starts to get nasty....I am pretty opinionated, and sometimes my opinions are way out there in left field....but I do not name call...I find it very childish and how are we supposed to expect to be treated as adults if we can't act like them.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• More often than not, it is the same people over and over. They don't really have debate skills, they just like to pretend they do.

That said, I'm not innocent of the name-calling charges. I've done it, but it's never the first shot.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Like the one who suggests people who don't agree with her must be alcoholics? There are some people who don't understand the conversation, and that bothers them. Rather than learn about what's being discussed or stepping away, they feel the need to attack. There are certain names, as soon as they appear, you can tell that's where it's heading. Some of them can't even get past one answer without throwing out things like "cabal" or "moron". What makes it worse, is that same lack of knowledge and understanding often leaves them feeling insulted by things they don't quite understand, because they don't realize they are neither insults, nor directed toward them personally. As a larger group, the conversation goes on, because if you can work past their short attention span, it is possible to return the conversation to the tracks once they've derailed it. It doesn't always happen, but it does happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Deep down inside, some adults are really immature. And when someone gets emotional, it's easy to slip into cat fight mode.
    jllcali

Answer by jllcali at 9:55 AM on May. 12, 2011