Okay..if for some reason your having trouble with the baby accepting breast to bottle transistion...how well did they take a cup instead?Could this work?

I'm really working hard on this.I am. I breast feed my baby(7 months old tomorrow)..for the past month I've been attempting to transition him from breast to bottle and formula. Recently, he HAS gotten a little better with the bottle...but still there are just times when he flat out refuses it and tries to rip my shirt off to get at the breast..I know that sounds funny...but man..it gets frustrating on my end.
I'm home with the kids all day so I don't have that option during the day to have someone else give him the bottle.
So...I've been putting formula in a sippy cup.
He's not so great with it yet..he's been practing for a little over a month with water ..and when I put formula in it..his eyebrows went up in suprise at the first taste and took several more drinks.
Maybe this could work.
How did it go for you? Was yours drinking enough from the cup to thrive?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The cup usually works... but kimberly, the biggest obstacle is actually YOU yourself. Baby is smart and knows you have the "good stuff." Offering an alternate is like your grandma offering stale storebought crackers when she just pulled a batch of your favorites out of the oven. You'd think Grandma had lost it; baby is thinking the same.

Why make extra work for yourself? You CAN, sure, but why bother?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Why not try a sippy cup with a flexible top? I wouldn't even try a bottle at this age.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• you'll have to try different nipples. lots of different ones until the baby accepts it. most babies this age don't understand a cup and will choke, sputter and spit everything out because they drank too fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm not much help. My 17 month old didn't start drinking from a sippy until he was well over a year old. I just breastfed. Although, we never did bottles, so going straight to a sippy might be what works!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Oh yeah DS was an expert with the straw sippy cups by 6 months. He HATED the bottle but when I was at work Daddy had to to feed him some how.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thanks for the post on bare feet! Love the image of the crying flamingo in the grass :)

I went through this with my ds3....couldn't wean that kid to save my soul. He was the same with nights, too. He would make his was to me at night, it got to the point where I didn't even wake up, we were so accustomed to night nursing. I ended up starting him on a cup. Regular old drinking glass about 10 months. He would refuse sippy's, bottles, everything. He was a boob man all the way lol
    Amomand4kids

Answer by Amomand4kids at 12:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My DD went from breast to sippy cup at 15/16 months. We tried the bottle the first time when she was a few months old, she took it, but not willingly. She only seemed to take it if mama wasn't around and she was hungry enough. The transition into sippy cups was MUCH easier. I got the NUK ones with the silicone tops. They are great, I used them in transition from bottle to cups with my oldest as well. The only downfall to those cups, is they start leaking after a few weeks/months of serious use. The other great ones by NUK are the cups with like a "sports top" or whatever they call it. It just has a short, straw-like nipple in the middle of the top, not off to one of the sides like other cups. Those ones worked really well with her too. Good luck! And it's always best to try and have someone else introduce the new cup, because like a previous poster said too, they love mama!
    Shansmommy

Answer by Shansmommy at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Shoot.. think I goofed, Nubby, not Nuk.
    Shansmommy

Answer by Shansmommy at 1:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Weaning probably won't solve your nighttime issues, and your sitter issues. You'll just have one less tool to deal with those issues. If your big thing is the bedsharing, etc, you could try night-weaning and eventually moving him to his own bed/room, and still nurse during the day, and see if you feel better about it. Just throwing that out there. I'm sorry I don't have any advice on actual weaning/getting baby to accept a bottle/cup, but I hope that whatever you decide works out well for you and your family.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yeah..the sippy he has does have a rubbery flexible top to it.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011