Almost 2 and hitting

How do you handle the hitting phase? I've tried a few things and any ideas would be helpful. Thanks :)

urthat1chick

Asked by urthat1chick at 10:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The joy of toddlers :)
    When the toddlers in my house hit..I intervene as quickly as possible (hopefully before the hitter makes contact with the hittee,lol) I hold thier hands , get down to thier level , looking them in the eye and say firmly "hitting is not nice.We do not hit our friends, we hug our friends" and I have them hug eachother.This happens countless times a day in my house,lol.
    Eventually..they will get past the phase.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• From what I've read on here and personally have gone through it myself. It's normal. They'll grow out of it.

My pedi (and this is going to cause some controversy) told me when my DD hits me, you grab the hand she hits with firmly...give her a smack on that hand and say firmly "you don't hit, it hurts"
    It lasted about a month...my DD is now 2 1/2 and doesn't hit at all. Now, we're working on temper tantrums lol....GL momma
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i would say have a firm conversation with him nd let him know that it is not nice if that doesnt work i would do time out
    boo420

Answer by boo420 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011