any ideas on how to clip a babys nails with out making them freak out?

my son acts like im really hurting him when i cut his nails. I usually wait along time to cut them, but they grow really fast and he scratches his face and mine. I just wish he didnt cry so much when i did it. it really hurts to see him cry soo much.

edwinsmom2008

Asked by edwinsmom2008 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try cutting them when he is sleeping. Or try when it when he has fallen asleep in his car seat. My husband cuts my son's nails while he is nursing.
    jacobsmommy0828

Answer by jacobsmommy0828 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i know it my sound crazy, but ive always bit them off for her you can feel her skin, so theres no cutting too far and i laugh at her while i bite them she thinks its funny and loves putting her hands in my mouth.. It works for me!
    Babywinx

Answer by Babywinx at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my mom, myself, and most of my friends bite them! but if you dont want to do that wait till the baby goes to sleep is another way to go!
    lsap667

Answer by lsap667 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If you are going to bite your babies nails you need to make sure you wash their hands and feet after. Because our mouths are so dirty you would want to pass germs to them....
    Play and rub your babies hands and feet and the will get used to you playing and touching them that they wont even notice way you are cutting them. My DD doesnt mind it at all.
    Anonymous

• When he was little I would just cut them while he was asleep. Now that he's a toddler he loves to watch me cut his nails, he thinks it's interesting.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 4:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• while they are asleep
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i keep a set of clippers in the car and before i take him out of his car seat, while he is still asleep...clip clip clip
    i have been known to take him for a ride when they need to be clipped!
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 5:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I cut Star Jasmine's nails once and took part of finger too...at least it looked like it with all the blood...I started filing them while she slept...much easier, less messy, and no pain.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I clipped or bit my son's nails while he was holding his bottle or while he was sleeping.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I started it out doing it while my daughter was asleep now I make funny noises when I make each clip.
    Hthr.S42288

Answer by Hthr.S42288 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2008