• In the Spotlight:

Is anyone else not giving gifts for Christmas?

People we know have decided not to give gifts this year for Christmas...instead focusing on being with family and friends. Is anyone else doing this? I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all!! I think it's great! Too many people are focused on getting "stuff".

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Holidays

• I wish I could NOT feel weird about not giving gifts. And there are sooo many people in our family..
    Anonymous

• We only do gifts for the kids and try to focus on the meaning of Christmas. I really just enjoy being with the family and friends as you said. I think it's great that more people are doing that. I'm so over people trying to outdo each other when it's time to unwrap presents!
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 8:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Most of my family members are doing that this year. It takes a lot of pressure off my boyfriend and me. We're more focused on my daughter's birth later this month than we are about Christimas (as well we should be!). If they want to give us gift cards or whatever, fine. But I hope they don't expect anything in return...we don't have any money.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have a huge family as well and gifting to all is impossible! What we do is buy gifts for the very youngest of family members (little ones), everyone else exchanges home made goodies! It's great because each of us has our very own specialty, the only drawback is that it's fattening! LOL!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We are just buying for our parents and my 2 brothers. And our daughter of course. We both have pretty large families but we just cant afford it this year.
    BrookesMommy512

Answer by BrookesMommy512 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My husband and I decided years ago to not give gifts. I think it has become so commercialized and that is all that most even think about. You have kids today that don't even know why they are getting gifts. We are more family oriented and simply focus on the joys and gifts that we have already received.

I've seen people lose their homes because of them trying to give their kids all they want on christmas. I've seen people have their electric and gas shut off because of this.
    phillymommie

Answer by phillymommie at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My family has decided this year to do some smaller things for the kids. The rest of us are doing home-made gifts (like what young kids do for their parents in school and other homemade). Examples, I'm helping my sister learn to sew a costume that she really wants to make and we're making my dad a batch of his favorite cookies on the first of the month for the next couple (every one of my siblings is taking a month). It feels good to have meaning in the presents- more personal, more love.
    ryras_mommy

Answer by ryras_mommy at 11:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We both have large families and no money. We've decided not to do gifts, for anyone. We can't afford it. I'm going to put together a gifts basket....one for each family. It will be way cheaper and is a nice gesture.

We're just going to hole up Christmas morning with a big breakfast, and see family later in the day.
    thirdwhirld

Answer by thirdwhirld at 8:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• its absolutely ok to not give gits. because thats not what christmas is about. christmas is family time. you spend time with you loved ones.

but i have to admit i love to give gifts... i always save up money through the whole year to get gifts for daughter, hubby, parents, brother (+his gf), grandparents and of course my momma in law.

i just love to give gifts...its the same at birthdays or whenever you have a chance to give gifts. its just something that makes me happy.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008