Social Compact?(contract)

Exactly what is Americas "social compact"? From these definitions it looks like changing them is a GOOD thing.

The definition of social compact is the voluntary agreement among individuals by which, according to any of various theories, as of Hobbes, Locke, or Rousseau, organized society is brought into being and invested with the right to secure mutual protection and welfare or to regulate the relations among its members.
Or
(in the theories of Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau, and others) an agreement, entered into by individuals, that results in the formation of the state or of organized society, the prime motive being the desire for protection, which entails the surrender of some or all personal liberties

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Given what I see when I look around me, read any news, etc. I prefer to remain 'anti-social' until the social compact once again focuses on protecting those in a society that contribute something of value instead of protecting the scum.

For those who may not understand, I'm NOT talking about welfare. I'm talking about protecting the grandma who babysits and tells stories, and removing the scum that breaks into her home and beats/kills her for a few bucks and her wedding ring. I'm talking about the cripple who teaches others to cope after being hit by a drunk driver. I'm talking about a SAHM who raises her children to care about others and be productive. Etc. I don't consider money as being valuable to society, only a necessary evil (I prefer bartering) and the cause of most of our problems. It definitely is not a solution.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Forgot to add that a good, working social compact punishes those who harm society ~ without pity, and without delay. It also tends to look at those who feel more pity or compassion for the defective members of society than their victims as needing help (and possibly a keeper).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Damn farmlady, you are one harsh individual. I certainly hope that outside of voting, you have no power.

The Great Society is an example of the idea. The ideal of protecting and promoting social agendas that empower all is a wonderful and attainable ideal. Unfortunately, conservatives no longer hold the same moral imperatives as Nixon and Ford did. Or we'd still be going down the road of The New Deal, The Great Society and The New Frontier.

The Great Society was not only a moral pact, it was damn good for economy
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The great society will never exist. The requirements are impossible to live by. Makes for a nice day dream though huh?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We are individuals and have individual rights, I have no desire to become a "collective society" where the group decides what YOU can do, can have and whether or not you are too sick to get help or it's more cost effective for the collective, to just let someone die...

http://unitedwithpurpose.com/voices-of-our-founding-fathers/145-samuel-adams

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can." "How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The Great Society is an example of the idea. The ideal of protecting and promoting social agendas that empower all is a wonderful and attainable ideal

Ya, that worked out well. The "war on poverty" accomplished nothing more than to expand poverty.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

The Great Society is an example of the idea. The ideal of protecting and promoting social agendas that empower all is a wonderful and attainable ideal. ~ adnilm

Really, lol? Sheesh. What I think of as 'harsh' is the main headline this morning ... daddy did something to literally crack his 3 month old's skull. The baby is in critical but stable condition and daddy is in custody. Until he makes bail. About a year ago a different daddy did much the same thing. He served 90 days ~ in spite of his child being damaged for life.

That is harsh. That is why I prefer to be anti-social. If patting THAT sort on the head and 'empowering' the scum is your idea of utopia, I am damn PROUD to be harsh. I want scum like that permanently removed from the gene pool, not protected,not empowered. I want them to be given a lead pill.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You go, Farmlady.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• That is harsh. That is why I prefer to be anti-social. If patting THAT sort on the head and 'empowering' the scum is your idea of utopia, I am damn PROUD to be harsh. I want scum like that permanently removed from the gene pool, not protected,not empowered. I want them to be given a lead pill.
    >>

What the hell did that have to do with the subject?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The ideal society that the left/liberals envision is never going to exist. It won't because there are humans who will never be capable of living in that perfect world. They don't want to. Some aren't capable of doing so. They prefer to cause harm, disrupt everyone else, and make that utopia impossible. The problem with the lib solutions is that excuses are made, entire books are filled with pseudo illnesses to justify those excuses, and society is breaking down instead of flourishing.

'Society' was created because humans lived better when they lived together, worked together, and shared. Society worked for a long time because those who weren't a help orwere harmful were summarily banned or killed. You call that harsh. I'm not harsh. I'm sitting here with a 3 day old chick doing subq fluids and hoping it makes it. I'll feed baby foxes as well ... but I'll shoot adults that kill my hens. The same should still apply to humans.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011