Do you shelter your kids?

This lady I know...she home schools her children. They stay at her house and really don't interact with other children.
Well, the other day, her son (who is 15) ask me what Muslim is...and I explained it's a religion, ect...
He ask me "are you sure it's a religion?" I ask him why he wanted to know. He said he was watching the History channel and saw somethings on there that he was unsure about. He was going on about what they said and didn't understand the things they were saying.

He ask his parents and they avoided the question. So, he goes on telling me that he knows I'm smart and wanted to ask me.

They're all great people. It's not like they keep their kids locked up...I guess they just choose not broaden their perspectives.

So, I kinda felt like I was in the wrong for telling him about things. But...if he's taking an interest in History...I don't see why he shouldn't know about things. Especially since he's 15.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't shelter, I'm definitely guilty of hovering/helicoptering.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• yes,but thats because of his moderate autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• no and never will... we live in a harsh world that's not full of rainbows and butterflies.. i would rather my children know the truth about it so they don't grow up naive.

lynnlang

Answer by lynnlang at 10:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think theres a difference in sheltering and what you described. They obviously did not want their kids to know about Muslims, and it is their right not to teach their child that if they choose not to. My kids go to church with me, and learn about the Bible and all of that. I do not teach about other religions because I am not any other religion so it would be dumb of me to try to teach something I dont know about. My kids arent allowed to attend a church that doesnt focus on the Bible. It is my choice.
    My kids play after school sports, go to public school, church, and all well rounded people. My older ones all hold jobs at 16, have their own cars, and all of that. But as a parent it is my choice what I discuss religion wise with my kids until they are old enough to choose for themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 10:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't shelter. At. all.

In fact, some parents don't like my ways because I am WAY into making sure he is worldly and has a very broad range of knowledge and understanding and experience.

I once talked to this little kid that tried to explain to me that a student in the high school "needed God in her life" and "worshiped the Devil" because she wore a lot of black clothes and black eyeliner. His parents TOLD him or led him to believe that.

I took it upon myself to explain to him that she was not evil or lacking and that she was sweet and kind. She just happened to like to wear black clothes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No my kids are not sheltered at all. They know about all different religions from different friends & family. My kids have attended several different churches, participated in pagan rituals etc. It's good to make your kids well rounded.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, these kids are sheltered gemgem.
    But, I guarantee that your 16 year old and older ones know what Muslim is...

These kids don't play sports, they do go to a church, do not attend public school.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Honestly, I think it should be his parents decision on how they explain to him what Muslims are. It may sound petty, but you aren't raising the child, and what you may see as "okay" may definitely NOT be okay to someone else. I believe in teaching my children abstinence and to wait until they find the right person when it comes to sex, a friend of mine teaches her child they will burn in hell if they fornicate, and yet another friend tells her son, if you are going to do it, use protection, different scenario, but the same point. Who do you want your child taught from...you, that way it goes with your beliefs, morals, and how you run your home, or a friend who doesn't believe like you. I think if you want to know your boundaries, ask the boy's parents if it is okay, and don't take offense if they tell you no. Good Luck honey, just remember, if it isn't your child, walk on the side of caution, no matter what the topic is.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am over protective, but I do not shelter them. I make sure if they have a question about anything I answer it as honestly as I can, and it doesn't matter what they ask, I will always try to come up with an age appropriate answer.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I understand what you're saying kitchenwitch...

However, when the teen approaches you and is curious about something he heard on the History Channel, and it has to do with the Muslim Religion, I really don't see the big deal. It's not like I went in there telling them about it. He approached me.
    He's interested in history...ergo, I don't see the big deal.

Obviously, he's smart enough to know there's more out there besides Christianity.

I definitely don't think wanting to learn is a bad thing.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011