Finger foods for a 6 month old?

Is anyone giving their 6 month old baby finger foods? We're already giving stage 3 baby food. He loves to try to feed himself by grabbing the spoon & putting it in his mouth, I'm just not sure if he's ready for finger foods like puffs, cheerios, or whatever else...This is my second child, and we waited until much later to begin finger foods with our daughter(because we were first time parents), but alot of people have asked and suggested that maybe we should try finger foods since he's so interested in feeding himself. We're just not real sure. What foods should we start with at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is used to stage 3 foods I would say finger foods should be fine, I would start with puffs since they disolve and it's much harder to choke on them then add cherrios as he gets used to them :)
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 11:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• bananas, cheerios, peas, cooked carrots, pretty much what can be mashed my little gums. My son ate solids when he was about 6 months.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My 6 month old eats baby puffs, cheerios, I dice up avoacodo and put it on his tray, cottage cheese, I've even tore a pnacake into really tiny pieces and put them down one by one as he ate them..he did very well. Just make sure anything you give is very tiny and don't put too much on the tray at once so he can't stuff too much in his mouth and choke.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• banana, pasta, soft cooked carrots. I used to make a can of soup and give the soft vegetable from there. They are really mushy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I use to boil the frozen veggie until they were soft, did not like the canned cuz of all the sodium. You can soften apples and pears in the microwave, Shredded cheese, cottage cheese, avocados, peaches & plums when in season and ripe. I had so much fun trying new foods with my little one.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• if your baby is eating well and is interested i say go for it. soft foods and easily swallowed foods are best. the puffs are great but the yogurt bites dont dissolve easily so watch out with those. GOOD LUCK!!
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011