Non-Christians who love Jesus

What role does he play in your spiritual beliefs? What religion do you follow? Who was/is he according to your beliefs (god, avatar, teacher prophet, etc.)? Do you worship him, or respect him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• None, he's purely a historical figure who did some really awesome things to help others.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm a former Christian. I wouldn't say that he plays a huge role in my beliefs or practices now, but I have some Bibles and actually find it very interesting to compare his teachings to teachings within other religions. I primarily practice Buddhism and to some extent Taoism. I do not believe in a personal god or gods; my view of God is pantheistic, so I have never really believed he was the son of God or the Messiah. This is why most Christian denominations are not a good fit for me, even if I agree with some of the teachings of my former Presbyterian upbringing. It's possible that Jesus is just a myth (based on some of the writing of NT scholars I've read), but I usually assume that there was an historical Jesus (or possibly a couple teachers whose sayings were later combined). Assuming there was a Jesus, I think he was a wise, enlightened human being. He was 'awake', like a Buddha, and was possibly 'Saint Issa' in India.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Personally, I love Jesus, I find his story to be fascinating, his place in history to be great and his teachings to be beautiful. HOWEVER, I don't see him to be any more important than any other Prophet. I have a book called Jesus CEO, and it's full of just incredibly motivating quotes and teachings. And I believe more people should pay attention to the message he projected - as they should other prophets and similar historical figures.

I am Pagan, and I believe that YHWH DOES EXIST as a single God in a much larger community of Gods and NOT a singularly Higher Power. Whether or not he is the physical father of Jesus (although unlikely) is just as possible as Zeus being the physical father of Hercules. And in the end I don't believe it matters. What matters is the actions and teachings of Jesus, not who he was or wasn't in relation to God. He taught positivity and love, something we can all use more of.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I forgot to answer the last question. I don't worship him, but I don't worship the Buddha or Lao Tzu either. We all have the potential to become Buddhas, and the Buddha was a human teacher. I do respect many of Jesus' teachings, particularly those on loving neighbors and enemies, having compassion, helping the poor, etc. Personally, I tend to focus on the gospels and the teachings during his life more so than other parts of the Bible. I see all of their teachings as something to help us recognize love, wisdom, and inner peace in ourselves, and to remind us to live with compassion for others and recognize our interconnectedness to all living things.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Can I just copy/paste Pam's answer, because that's pretty much my exacts feelings as well? Seriously, right out of my head and into her answers.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't say I "love" him but I think he was a pretty good teacher, much like Buddah, or the Dalai Lama, etc. He doesn't really play an active part in my life, but I do find wisdom in his teachings just like I do in the others I listed and find that they help influence people's lives into being better persons.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My beliefs have no particular say in who he was, its purely whatever the individual believes(Im eclectic Wiccan Witch).

I used to be Christian and I still believe he was a real person. However, I no longer believe he was a messiah. I believe he was a good man who tried to teach people how to be better, kinder, more loving,etc.

However, for that time period he was a bit on the "radical" side hence the head dudes dislike of him and his eventual death.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• basically a combination of what pam19 and Kristi said:

pam-" It's possible that Jesus is just a myth (based on some of the writing of NT scholars I've read), but I usually assume that there was an historical Jesus (or possibly a couple teachers whose sayings were later combined). Assuming there was a Jesus, I think he was a wise, enlightened human being."
    Kristi-"I think he was a pretty good teacher, much like Buddah, or the Dalai Lama, etc. He doesn't really play an active part in my life, but I do find wisdom in his teachings just like I do in the others I listed and find that they help influence people's lives into being better persons."

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have said and believe still that Jesus is my soul's original savior. His message of love and forgiveness and kindness, while maintaining inner strength and conviction inspires me. I would even go so far as to say that Jesus was sent to us from Deity. His sacrifice on the cross was not about paying the price for my sins with his blood, it was about driving his message home. He even loved so much and so well that even when he could have fled he stayed. if he had fled we would not tell his story still today. He sacrificed himself to make sure his message was heard.

I think that a lot of his divine nature has been granted to him through the re-telling of his story, and that he was just a man with a powerful message at a time when it was needed. I have since grown in my beliefs and am an eclectic pagan, but Jesus was my original teacher and first taught me the lesson of love.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

•     I Love Him with all my heart, soul & mind!!!  He's Everything to me!!!!!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 4:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011