Any one had preterm labor, early dialation, and a shortened cervix at 28 weeks?

I just got out of the hospital, spent 16 days there.I started having contractions and went to the hospital, i was dialated to 3cm, had a really shortened cervix, and regular contractions at 3 minutes apart. Doctors were able to stop the contractions several times, and now im wondering if anyone has a similar situation and what happened. i am scared to death that i will deliver a 3 lb baby that wont survive.

my_bby_rowyn

Asked by my_bby_rowyn at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• first off anything after 25 weeks is viable..my dd was born at 29wks 2days and weighed 2lbs 1oz...shes is perfectly normal..dont freak out about your baby not surviving just yet...i didnt have a chance to stop mine you are actually lucky..just take things one day at a time and try not to worry if your baby comes early thats what a nicu is for! Stop stressing it only makes things worse believe me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I had my daughter at 28 weeks via emergency c-section; I had been contracting and nothing the docs did could stop them. They had to take her when they did because she was in distress. They were never able to establish a reason ... they had only ever seen a case like mine in 3 different scenarios, of which I fit none. I am, to this day, a medical mystery. My baby was 2 lbs., 2 oz. when she was born. She spent 6 weeks in the NICU. She was diagnosed w/PVL (periventricular leukomalacia) while in the NICU; it can be a precursor to cerebral palsy but it did not manifest itself in her case. She was a little late in walking but suffered no developmental delays. She is soon to be 11 years old and is a perfectly normal preteen ... gets straight A's, is involved in sports, plays a musical instrument, and cute as all get out. I completely understand your fear but try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). Best of luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I struggled with preterm labor with my second from 15 weeks till I delivered him my dr even put two stitches in to keep my cervix from dilating. I made to 36 weeks with him my third child I started having preterm labor at 20 weeks on and off till 34 weeks when I had to be terbutaline around the clock to make it to 38 weeks.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 1:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2011