My baby started throwing tantrums when its time to nap and go to bed...

My son is only 7 months old, but he has started throwing insane tantrums when it's time to sleep. Naps and bed time sleeping. I don't know what to do.  We've been on a great sleep schedule for about 2 1/2 months now that has worked wonderfully, but the last two weeks has been awful. Any suggestions on how to get them under control and make sleeping a pleasant thing for him again?

jnhill

Asked by jnhill at 11:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure he is on a schedule and have him go to be before he gets overtired and throws tantrums.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• CraftingMama has a good suggestion. Some babies I've given a bottle to and rocked to sleep others when it's sleep time get laid down and if they cry I check on them a few times but never make eye contact or speak to them. You're presence is enough to comfort them.. I might just lay their blanket back on them, give them a paci, etc. Screamers will stop once they know they can't get up. Its hard to listen to them cry though. I know.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Watch for the signs he is tired. Maybe he is ready to take less naps. The stay up longer and longer as the months go by. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath, diaper change,  swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all, but whatever works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing.  That's what worked for us.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011