Getting 3 year old on a better sleep pattern

My daughter is a night owl- she just turned 3. She wants to sleep until 8am or later and isn't tired for bed until 11pm, so we go through bedtime issues starting at 8:30 almost every night until she gets tired enough. She has lots of physical playtime and activities as I am very interactive with her and I stay home with her.
Should I get rid of her nap, which is about 1.5 hours? Should I wake her up earlier in the morning?
We do the nighttime routine of bath, books, and bed- but this girl is just not tired!
*The only thing that works sometimes is a reward sticker chart* but since she will be starting preschool in the fall I need to get her on a better schedule since we will have to be up before 7am.

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would start with waking her earlier and see if that works with the nap. If that didn't work, then I would cut out the nap but naps are part of my sanity and around my house I keep them as long as possible!

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'd start simple...get her up earlier and cut out the nap. My kids have to go to bed whether they're tired or not. I've always had good luck with bedtime. I've never done rewards.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Start with cutting out the nap. After a couple of weeks, if that isn't helping, wake her up earlier - if 8 is early for her, get her up at 8 for a week, then the next week 7:45 for a week, and so on, til she's getting up when you want her up. She should gradually be ready for bed earlier & earlier too then. Also start her bedtime routine earlier. Be prepared for it to take a while to get her on a better sleep schedule, since she's used to what she's doing now!
    Anonymous