Self cervical exam? adult content

Do you do self cervical exams?

I didn't with my previous pregnancies, but with this one I was curious because my doctor doesn't do cervical checks until 37 weeks. I am 32 weeks. I have tried to check before, but could not feel anything at all. I check again today, and my cervix is much lower, very soft and one finger width open.

Should I talk with my doctor about this, or you think it is no biggie?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 12:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can always call your doctor and request they do one if you feel something is wrong. I had my doctor do one yesterday because I had been cramping. It's your body. I feel comfortable with my doctor doing it. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself and your doctor says it's ok then I suppose it is.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• you should not do exams. They are unnecessary, that is why your Dr doesn't do them.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I was told to be careful about doing self cervical exams because they can rupture and that is not a good thing. My doctor didn't check until around 37 weeks as well. He knew what he was doing so I just left it up to him. Good luck!
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 12:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I did not do home checks. There is a risk of exposing bacteria and infection to your baby. As far as your cervix feeling soft and lower, no need to worry. It is VERY common to dilate and efface very early into your pregnancies if you have delivered before. I was 4 cms dilated at 33 weeks with my third child and didn't delivered her til 38 weeks, 3 days.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm sure u r fine but,if it would put u at ease then mention it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have an appointment on the 3rd. This is my 3rd baby, so I figured I would have some progress at this point. I was 3 cm dilated for over a month with both my other boys. I washed my hands very well, and I did not feel up too far for fear of breaking my waters.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The doc shouldn't even do them at 37 weeks. They mean absolutely nothing and can introduce bacteria.

You can remain closed, thick and high until labor starts. Or you can be open, thinned and low months on end. Therefore, no need to know.

You don't even HAVE to be a 10 in order to push.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I did one on myself because I have been having very bad contractions and knew something was not going right im 29 weeks and im glad I did because if I had not I wouldnt have known I was 3 cm dialated and 50 % effaced my doctor with my last pregnancy taught me how to and im glad
    mommyof0210

Answer by mommyof0210 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011