Do people feel Trig is being used as a prop because he has Down Syndrome?

In the recent uproar over Wonkette's disgusting attack on a 3 year old disabled child, many are rallying to their defense because "Palin uses him as a political prop!"

But I can't help that notice that other politicians have their children in the spotlight just as much, if not more, and nobody seems bothered. The Obama girls have been on multiple magazine covers, including People, Us, Essence, New York, photographed on vacation swimming with Obama to prove the water was safe in the Gulf, on stage a thousand times, used as examples for parenting advice by Michelle and so on. Yet I don't see the people who insist Palin is wrong for having her children in the public eye calling Malia and Sasha political props.

So, I'm thinking that the REAL reason some people are uncomfortable with Trig Palin being shown publicly as an actual member (gasp!) of the Palin family is that he has Down Syndrome. As though being disabled means he couldn't actually just be a loved and cared for son the same as any other child. That they must be just using him as a prop to get sympathy. What do you think?

SuperChicken

Asked by SuperChicken at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I know a lot of people around CM who normally have no issue with working mothers were livid that she went back to work so quickly after he was born because he had *gasp* Downs, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were an extension of that mentality, even if people won't admit it, even to themselves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think it's mostly just Palin haters, giving them another negative thing to say about her. JMO.
    Anonymous

• The real disabilities Decal

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am pissed at anyone who uses their children as a prop. Yes, that does include the Obama's. Children should be sheltered away from the world not pranced about on the cover of everything just because of who their parents are! Let your child be a child and stop using them and their beautiful face just because it makes YOU look better!
    Anonymous

• I agree with you OP. I have a special needs child and have encountered more than 1 person that has actually asked if we knew he had problems before he was born and had him anyway. It is sad there is still such a stigma attached to disabilites.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• IDK. I don't really pay much attention to the Palin's media adventures. I would have to imagine that a lot of it is the amount of exposure that they are given makes certain parts of our population automatically assume that she is asking for it (the attention). Sure, she goes out for attention on her and her message, but I don't really recall thinking she was 'using' her children as props.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have heard SP be criticized for exploiting her children when she takes them with her. I have also heard her be criticized for being away from her children. For the record, her husband is a stay-at-home dad, and her parents are also in the area. So they have family able to look after them.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 2:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• wonkette didn't say that. another posterd did as I understand it.
    However, wonkette is responsible for the site content.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, I actually haven't seen much of Palin or her kids lately.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It is awful OP..even more awful when you you consider my son's progress. He is on the cusp of being stamped recovered. He is a brilliant straight A student and will lead a normal adult life.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011