Where would our nation be right now with out food stamps?

With so may out of work. A reported 8.8% as of last month nationally. That being documented unemployed not counting those who's unemployment has run out. So many are under employed. AS of 2010 14.3% of families were living below poverty level which is set a surprising low rate of 22,350 a year for a family of 4. You can not get benefits if you surpass 130% of this level. A somewhat reasonable number of 29,000 for a family of 4. What are your thoughts? What would become of our people without benefits right now? While I am sure some are abusing the system a lot aren't. Do you think the crime rate would go up? Do you think more people would be malnourished? Do you have other ideas as to how it would be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it would force more people to accept jobs they normally wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• If it wasn't for food stamps, my husband and I would have to choose between having a house, or having food. People are greedy, nmber one. Oil companies do not NEED to make as much money as they do, nor do pharmacuetical companies. The President can't touch either side because they both happen to be top contributors to political campeigns. Gas prices effect everything, and people charge more for the service or products they offer so they can keep up their lifestyle. The people at the bottom that work for these companies are the ones that hurt the most. I have met people here and there that cannot afford to shop at the places they work. There's a lot wrong with that. Another prime example of greed. I think without foodstamps, mediciaid, energy assistance, unemployment etc- CPS would step in to take kids away from their families. It's not fair to us to raise our electric usage by 17 cents per kw, our gas by 20 cents weekly (TBC)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think without many of the assistance programs the nation may just not have gotten into the mess they are. There are times and situations where these programs are NEEDED. The problem is these programs that were meant to help people out for a period of time have become programs that people are living off of. Which means more government debt. Dont' get me wrong it is not all because of these programs but it is because of an atttitude that we are in the mess we are in.
    Anonymous

• Even if they did chances of being below the poverty level would be very high. Min wage is 7.75 and hour is 16,120 a year. Double in a 2 adult home is 32,000, just above the limit if they have only 2 children. I'm not sure it would solve that problem by much but it may...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• a gallon, to raise the cost of food, even postage stamps by so many cents and not give a considerate budge to minimum wage. Sure gas fluctuates, but my electric bill isn't going to drop, my gas bill won't either. The companies aren't making as much money, so they raise our rates in what we pay, but are they paying their employees any of that money?! My husband took a part time job at Burger King recently and made a whopping $96 in one week. That's less than 200 a week full time, how could any person take care of their financial needs for their family on a mere $800 a week. Minimum wage is going to have to go up if people are going to have a chance to ever be off government assisted programs. The government can make the change to minimum wage, it doesn't take money from the government, but could help in small numbers with people getting off assistance. So why don't they raise minimum wage and start making greedy companies PAY!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think there would be more food banks. And a lot more hungry people.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• For our family, my husband went from $25 an hour 60 hrs a week to $8.50 an hour. We had to go on foodstamps, medicaid, applied for energy assistance a few times just to make it through til he found a better paying job. Which he found at a company that wasn't even hiring and they hired him as asst manager. Anyways where we live in Missouri, we have 4 kids, 2 adults in our home and we can bring in $3400 a month before we lose food stamps. My husband makes no where near that amount, but we could survive VERY WELL on $3000 a month because we live within our means. People need to learn what they really honestly NEED to get by. We don't have fancy cars, we have a house that is just big enough, our only luxery is cell phones and internet, but I stay home with 3 girls during the day, my son's in school, and I'm starting online classes in a month. People have to learn what they NEED to survive, and it would save some people a lot of $$
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• karilyn84 - you got the assistance and used the program in the way that it was intended and it's great that it was there for you. What is unfortunate is that far too many others for many many years, long before the recession have used the programs available as a way to entirely support themselves. It may not be luxury for them but they do take what ever is available to them so they don't have to work an 8.50 an hour job until they can move up in a job.
    Anonymous

• The same place we were back during the great depression when there was not any food stamps. We survived.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• he same place we were back during the great depression when there was not any food stamps. We survived.

... with rationing and ration books. Want to go back to that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011