• In the Spotlight:

How can I get over my own seperation anxiety with my child?

Well, my mom took my daughter to Disney World and I couldn't go because she did not want me to miss school. They've been gone for 5 days and are coming back in 2. I am a mess without my child, and I don't know what to do. We haven't been away for no longer than a day since she's been born.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Take a deep breath and relax. She'll be back soon : ) To love someone THAT much is wonderful and painful all at the same time. Wonderful for the obvious reasons and painful because your heart aches and your gut hurts when they're away from you or something heaven forbids happens to them. My sons are 17 and 15 and the feeling never lessens or goes away. My oldest is at work right now and I miss him. Weird huh..it's just 4 hours..you'd think after 17 years I'd get over it but I haven't and I'm not sure if/when I will.....lol.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I know this is going to sound weird but it helped me a lot when my DS first started to go to his dads. Every time I would get to miss him so much that my arms ached I would tell myself that he was there and he was just sleeping in his room. I would keep the door to his room shut and not go in there the whole time he was gone just for times I would miss him badly it helped with the idea that he was in there. It sounds weird but it did work for me.

Anonymous

• My son is in Atlanta now and it is so strange to not have him hear. My husband is begging me to go to his mother's house. So I make sure my husband calls my son in the evening and that I also call during the day to get a report on all the fun things he did with his grandparents. It also has helped that I have made my husband stay busy with tasks to do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• All the above sounds like good advice. ... I just want to say that what you are feeling is SO healthy ! So often I hear from co-workers how they can't stand their kids ... can't wait until the holidays are over & their kids will be back in school, etc. So sad ... and destructive. After listening to and watching these people with their children, it is just wonderfully refreshing to read of a mom who WANTS to be with her child. ... Thank you !!! ... ... and enjoy when she gets back, and then all the years to come !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Girl when you figure this out let me know....be happy knowing she is having a blast though. My oldest is 23 and when he moved out I thought I would die! It is part of being a mom...we will always have "cord issues"!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008