What are a few good breast pump places I can purchase from?

I an not near popping yet but I want to start getting ready. I have the crib, clothes, diapers, etc. I'm sure I am still missing a few things but the next thing on my to-get list is a breast pump. I came across this article from consumer reports about breast pumps. I read it and it helped me out but I want real mommy help as well.

Can you please help?

RachaelBB

Asked by RachaelBB at 1:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, it depends. What will you be using the pump for? That makes a big difference in which one to buy. I wouldn't buy used, simply because you don't know how long/often it was used for, and after a while the motor WILL go. Additionally, the reason it's not recommended to buy used is because there is a SMALL risk of the pump becoming contaminated. Obviously, you'd purchase new tubing and flanges, and valves, etc, but there is a possibility of tiny droplets making their way into the actual pump, and THAT is where the risk comes in. With a hospital or rental pump, they're made differently, intended for multiple users, and the pump is closed off from the tubing etc, and there is NO chance of droplets making their way into the pump itself.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• In my experience hospitals charge $1/day so $30/month, so for the best deal it depends on how long you'll be BF. I bought the medela pump in style for $279, and it's the best pump IMO. I work full time so I pump 3x/day 4 days/week , and have been doing so for 3 months now and have not had a single issue. People will complain on the reviews its loud or heavy, it weighs no more than your baby's packed diaper bag and I don't think its loud, if you go in any room and close the door it cant be heard through the door.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• ebay! Anything that has touched the body can be replaced for cheap and the rest can be cleaned. Down side is no warranty. I got a used medela double electric pump for 80 with shipping on ebay. then replaced the cones, tubing and bottled for $30. If you are on any kind of budget this is the way to go. If not then just price shop around. Kmart has layaway still also.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It is expensive to buy the whole machine. Most hospitals will allow you to rent a pump. The tubing and containers are all new so the only previously used part is the pump itself and it's much cheaper. If you aren't planning to have more kids soon or at all, it is more cost effective than buying one. Ask your doctor about it at your next appointment.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Oh and its a double electric pump. Are you going to return to work or SAHM?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thanks for all they comments. I was looking at these electric breast pumps. I was thinking about getting the Ameda Purely Yours.

RachaelBB

Comment by RachaelBB (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011