Need to figure it out.... adult content

I grew up going to a Baptist church and I can remember how wonderful and excited I felt when I thought I knew it all and Jesus was the only way. In college, I started questioning my beliefs once I learned about other religions and I have been lost spiritually ever since. I haven't been to church in about 10 years, mainly b/c I don't quite believe and I feel judged being there. I want to be open to having some type of belief but I have no idea where to begin. I don't understand how all these other religions are wrong and Christianity is the only way.

I do believe there is an afterlife; I just don't want to go to hell if I am wrong and I was suppose to keep following Christianity. Does anyone have any advice or have felt this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its a journey, take it a step at a time.

When I started to rethink my beliefs I wrote down what I did and didnt believe in...those things I was sure of. I even took that quiz on beliefnet.com and it was a good guide as well. Gave me things to explore and then I spoke with others who gave me books to read and advice and I followed my heart. That is what led me to believe what I do now and Ive never felt more peace and joy.

If you dont believe in Christianity like you once did then stop worrying about hell as that is just a fear tactic. You can worry for the rest of your life about those things branded into your mind from your youth or you can press forward in finding your own spirituality. I felt guilt and fear for about 2 yrs after I left it but deep within my soul I knew I was on the right path for myself and I also realized how "brainwashed" I really was(in a way) and I knew I had to let it go. Its hard but its doable!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am a christian and my church doesn't believe that only christians will make it to heaven. We believe anyone who believes in the one true god, accepts Jesus as their savior, and live their lives for him will be welcomed in. For us, it's not so much the specific rules of a single religion. We feel the most important thing is a close relationship with God through prayer, through scripture and through our actions. Basically, do right by him through doing right by others and spread the word. Not jamming it down people's throats but simply saying if someone feels alone or, like you, is searching for a reaffirmation or change of faith, that God is there and he loves them unconditionally.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• There are many of us - Christians - who have many different beliefs about hell, from believing that only truly "bad" people go there, regardless of religious affiliation, to rejecting the idea of hell as a real place entirely. And there are those of us who don't believe that "other religions are wrong and Christianity is the only way." Ultimately, though, you have to really reach down and figure out how YOU feel about it. Because unless you honestly know what YOU believe, no one's answers are going to be good enough for you. It's not about having someone else tell you what they think, its about finding what YOU think. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You don't have to have it all figured out. Start reading some books on spirituality and pray, I really feel it's the journey and not the destination that we are suppose to be working at. Also keep a journal about what matters to you and things you are grateful for and use this as a basis for your prayers.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, I've never felt that way because I've never strayed from my faith in God. I'm curious as to why learning about other religions made you start questioning your own beliefs. I'll admit that I haven't studied other religions to any great extent, but what I have studied only further concreted my beliefs. Since you asked for advice, I'm going to suggest that you start reading the Bible in the Book of John. I prefer the NIV version because I think it's easier to understand. You went from feeling wonderful and excited to feeling spiritually lost. Think about why that is. God's Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. Lean not to your own understanding, but acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. Don't worry about church right now. Get in the Word, take your time, and allow it to sink in. Good luck sis. Message me anytime. God bless.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think you should crack open your Bible and pray :) Do some background research on religions that interest you.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yip
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Renee3K is right, even though she got voted down. Start with what you know (the Bible) and go from there. You have endless information at your fingertips. Use it. Decide which religions/beliefs speak to you ... then start narrowing it until you find the path you are meant to be on. You may find that more than one speaks to you.

May you be blessed on your journey ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• your not going to go to hell for not believing in christianity & if there is a god who is that judgmental and mean without giving real proof that that is the only way, then id rather go to hell then spend my whole life worshiping him.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011