Why do we have to dress up for service?

Why is it that there is this unwritten rule to dress up for church? And if you go dressed down it is considered wrong. I used to go to a church back home right after rolling out of bed in my pjs and it was perfectly fine. It doesn't make me less of a believer.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 1:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It used to be, people worked 6 days a week, whether it was at a job that paid or simply doing all the things required to survive - cut wood, cook food, etc. All of those things destroyed your clothes. Even if you did "office work" you were covered in ink and carbon and soot. On the day you went to church, you did nothing - you weren't allowed to cook or clean or even hitch up a wagon. You didn't wear the raggy, stained work-week clothes to church, you wore the ones you saved for that day only.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's not about belief, it's about showing respect. You wouldn't go on a job interview in your pj's, would you? So why would you show any less respect for your G-d in His house?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes, definitely a respect thing. It depends on the denomination as well. I grew up in a Lutheran church and they are more strict about things. I attended a Baptist church in my town once and they were in jeans. Just depends. And no, I don't judge people. I don't care how they dress for church. The fact that people even make it to church anymore is great because schedules and life gets so busy.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't think it's neccessarily wrong that we dress down. Thing is I wear jeans and t-shirts to work and at home all week that I actually like dressing up for church. I think we shouldn't judge others by what they wear but rather on what they "wear" for the world to see in their actions. At our church many do dress down and aren't judged. There has been a case or two wear someone has mentioned that something was way out of place (ex: mini skirts that showed the cheeks, pants falling off their butts) but that's more a decency thing in my mind.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think it has to do with your motive.

I get the respect thing.

But at our church we dress down....jeans even. And b/c of this we feel like we are more approachable to others maybe less fortunate, maybe people who were not raised in church...or just people who do not enjoy dressing up.

When it all boils down to it...the truth of the matter is.

GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART...not your heels! And when you attend church for the right reasons, nothing else should matter. Period!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I go to a "come as you are" type of church, so I attend in jeans and a nice shirt. The kids dress up a little b/c my son loves to wear "handsome" clothes and my daughter is all about dresses.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It harkens back to being able to show off for others once a week when you had ONE set of good clothes and then work clothes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's respect to God's house...but not all church's are like that...my best friends church is "come as you are"
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's about respect.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• ok I get that :) I guess I just don't take how I dress as a sign of respect. I just don't see the need to get in nylons and skirt for jeans, when I'm perfectly comfortable in a nice pair of jeans. Would you think less of someone who came to church like this?
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011