Spin off from my own question... How do you know if your child has....

So I asked a few days ago about taking my DD to the emergency room because a cough she had that I had not heard before.

I guess I asked a bad time, I don't think anyone was on LoL. But thankfully I did get a few answers.

Eventually I hit google and youtube because the honest truth is.... I had NO idea what Whooping Cough sounded like.

I found a site through google that had a list of most "types" of coughs. It was an auditory guide and all I had to do was sit there and listen to that against the recording of DD coughing that I had taken earlier that day.

It was a dry cough, and her doc reconfirmed that it was just a virus and that I was doing everything I needed to.

But my question to you ladies is this: "Do you know what whopping cough sounds like? What about croup? "

**BTW if any of you want the site with the auditory guide i'd be more than happy to give you the link.

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 2:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i google stuff if i don't know.. crazy coughs drive me nuts
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I dont know much about whooping cough...but I have heard that it sounds like a whoop...makes that noise.

I have heard croup from my son...he has had it 3 times...You will KNOW croup when you hear it b/c it sounds JUST LIKE a seal barking. Does not sound like a normal cough.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i remember getting the "croup" as a kid and loving the sound I made....i know i'm a goofball. I hate when my kids have gotten it though.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes, I know its horrible hope your DD is better.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I've heard my cousins cough when he had croup so I do know what that sounds like but I've never heard a whooping cough though! Only read the description of what it sounds like. And hope you daughter feels better!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yep, unfortunately I know what they both sound like.
    Anonymous

• There was a commercial during an outbreak that had a child coughing with whooping cough...that is the only way I would have ever known what it sounded it. Croup, no idea!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• tbh i would know that either
    amyb349

Answer by amyb349 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes, I know what both sound like. Also, most cases of whopping cough are from exposure to parents or other adults that have been exposed and carry it to their unvaccinated child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Check out the site for the organization "sounds of pertussis" they have a ton of info on the disease, vaccinations for your little one, and vaccinations for mom and dad.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2011