Any tips for a first time substitute teacher?

I am going to start substitute teaching at a local high school next week and was wondering if any of you moms that have subbed before had any tips for me. I am way nervous!!

soccer.mom

Asked by soccer.mom at 3:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• No idea here, but i want to wish you the best of luck!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Good luck. This is what my mother does. When some obnoxious kid starts acting up, she looks for the shyest, most well behaved girl. She says "What is his name?" She writes it down. If he keeps going, she calls the front desk and tells the principals office "So and so is coming down now". The rest of the class behaves after that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• LOL...I have.

Go in super friendly, but, don't let them get away with anything. Get your bluff in. Make them think you would tattle tell, but, never do it unless it's necessary. Anytime a kid says, "Our teacher let's us do it." They are lying. Walk in VERY confident and have a few jokes and all will be fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm not a teacher, but my mom was a sub for the majority of my childhood. I think my best advice would be to not let those little weasels get to you. I know how awful kids can be to subs - hell, to any teacher, but they seem to save the worst for subs. I know my mom's spirits seemed crushed more than once growing up.
    Good luck!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011