Are you for or against spanking children?

I am not talking about beating your child. Just swatting them. I grew up in an age where you got spanked for some miss deeds.
Life is at the point now where you can't touch your child in any form as a punishment, but yet you can sign permission slips at school for the school to swat your kids.
I have never had a problem with spanking my kids. Not that I enjoy it.
They don't get spankings that often. Actually hardly at all, but its not something I am afraid to do. I hate doing it but with my youngest its the only thing that works with him the majority of the time.
How do you feel about swats?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am totally against it, swats can also easily turn into something else, our strength in comparison to a child's body is very uneven, and sometimes a swat can be very harmful. There are more productive ways of handling discipline, fear is not an effective one, but understand of wrong doing is, but that is just me.

Answer by older at 3:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's how I was raised. It's how my children were raised, and it's how my grandchildren are being raised. There are 2 categories of spankable offenses: they are disrespect and disobedience.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am against physical punishment. My husband and I decided on a no spanking discipline policy before we had kids. I have a lot of years of child development and psychology study behind me . . . spanking is really discouraged due to studies on discipline and emotional wellness.

I would never sign a form that "swatting" my kids was okay. I probably would be changing schools if that were the policy.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think its up to the parent on how to raise their child... I'm not advocating abuse in any way, but there needs to be less government involved in our parenting. A swat, when deserved, can go a long way. Going to far is obviously wrong but most people are able to use discretion in choosing discipline for their children.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I spank some. If it is truly warranted. So, I don't spank a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Whoever thumbed down . . . I am not saying anything bad about you . . . I am just answering how I feel about "swats", like the question asked.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am 100% against spanking. I think that it is always abuse. 100 years ago people thought it was alright to hit your wife, and we have learned better since. I dont see how hitting your child does anything.

Answer by gemgem at 3:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's how I was raised, and it's how my children are being raised. I see nothing wrong with a parent or grandparent (if the parent isn't around) giving a deserved swat on the rear. However - let someone at school raise their hand to my child and I'm going to come unglued.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My child is not a bug, so no I do not "swat" them.
    Anonymous

• It all just seems to me that sometimes grounding, taking away that fav toy, or making them sit down doesn't always work. I have a DS that literally smiles when he gets into trouble. He will sit there and act like its no big deal. Its not until his father says that he will get a spanking that the smirk is wiped off his face and he understands that he is in trouble and its not a game that we are playing with him. I am not against anyone that feels the opposite of how I feel. I think to each parent their own. But I feel and see that since the government steps in and says you can't touch your child that there is more disrespectful children out there that are not afraid of the out come of their bad deeds. My oldest DD I never have to spank, grounding and taking away that fav toy works wonders with her, buy my youngest DS is just the opposite and sometimes severe punishment is all that gets his attention.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011