BF/FF dilemma!

So I'm not able to pump a full days worth of milk for dd so she gets 5oz of formula a day 4 days/week, so the last bottle of the day before we pick her up is that 5oz of formula. The problem is I take her 3 bottles and they call saying she needs a 4th, so when I leave them with 4 bottles she doesn't need it, and that one is the formula and we end up having to throw it out, and you all know how much $ formula is. The school cannot open the bottles or mix formula, its just policy. And I really shouldn't be leaving work everyday to take a bottle. Any suggestions to make this easier? Thanks ladies :)

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 3:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you TRY 4 oz bottles, 3 of them, and make a 4th out of the remaining 3 oz? And see if that works? It might, technically baby needs 1 to 1.25 oz of breast milk per hour of separation. How many hours are you apart? That's a lot for a BF baby to be taking, and she might do fine with the slightly smaller bottles, but it could take a few days for her to adjust, just because she's USED to a little more, but it's likely that she doesn't NEED all that much. Just an idea, that you might want to give a try and see. You could also try nursing RIGHT before you leave the caregiver, that might mean she takes less from bottles while you're gone.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• well since the bottle mixed is good for 24 hours. Make 4 and then send the one not used back for the FIRST bottle the next day? Would that work? It's been a while since I had to deal with this...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I always used powder formula, but can't you buy liquid formula already in bottles? I know it will be more expensive than powder but they are sealed bottles so if they're not opened they're good for a long time and don't need to be refridgerated until they are open. If you don't have to waste then it might save money in the long run. Otherwise you could give her the bottle of formula later that night and just pump for that feeding, then you might build up a little stash of extra milk on those days. But you probably would rather nurse than pump, that's how I felt about it when I was in your shoes.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If they don't use the formula bottle, then just stick it in the fridge for the next day.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Can you put the powder in the bottle and send a bottle of water to mix it with?
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I dunno. lol. seems like, like any other food product, 24 hours would be more of a recommendation that anything else. Call your ped and see what their opinion is. Surely they have already heard this question! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Ya, the bottles have to be mixed already. And I only use formula when necessary, we're trying to avoid it :) This is all excellent advice, thanks girls, keep it coming lol
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• But_mommie, Great idea! I was just thinking that would be stretching it. We mix that formula before we leave for work, so that would be at 5:45am and then we'd be saving it til she ate first at school which would be 8:30. I know that's not much over 24hrs, you think that'd still be okay?
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• How old is she, 5 oz seems like a lot. How many oz of milk do you leave and how do you divide it?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I hope I answered your questions, if you have any other thoughts or advice I'd love to hear :)
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2011