New to the Running circuit...

I am a newbie and just starting to run - I smoked for 15 years so I have some real work to do but anyway, I just started 3 weeks ago and so far I think I can only make it like 1/2 mile without stopping and that's really pushing it- I know it will take some time but just curious how long it took you to get to the point where you could go one mile, 5 miles, 10 miles?
How many times a week did you run when you first started out and should I not space the days too far in between? should I go nightly even if I only have the time to go a couple blocks or does it not matter? I can't WAIT to get to that point where I NEED to run but I am far from that point so I want to start out doing it "correct"

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• 1st, congrats on quitting smoking and starting running! Running is addictive but in a good way! I started running Oct '09 with the run/walk/run method. Google Jeff Galloway, there's even groups in many areas that you can join. I'd run 4 min, walk 1. When I started I'd already lost 40lbs and was in half decent shape (compared to where I was 10 months earlier) but 4 min was hard but I stayed with it. In Dec, I did a 5 mile charity type run and it was the 1st time I'd ever run 5 miles w/o stopping. I did my 1st 5k Jan 1st, my 2nd Feb 13th and my 1st half marathon March. I wasn't quite ready for the half and ended up walking a good bit of it but still did it in 2 hrs 24 min. I worked on consistency and building mileage and speed slowly and now for the last 15 weeks have trained for my 1st full marathon. I'm much more prepared than I was for the half!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Are you just running until you can't anymore? I started out running a block, walking a block. I'd do that for about 2 miles. Then I started running 2 blocks, walking one, and kept building it up. Then once I could run that (a couple of months), I starting increasing my distance. I started running in September, and I can currently run about 5 miles. I run for 5 minutes, then walk for about 10 seconds, for the whole run, just to get a breather, and it really helps me pace myself, and keep the pace consistent. I'm working up to a half marathon in August. I run about 3 days a week. It's good to let your body recover in between running days while it gets used to the impact. I need to get to where I'm running 5 days a week. I'm currently working on increasing my distance.
    There's a great Running Moms group on here you ought to join! It's great reading through the posts and such. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Have you conditioned yourself by power walking first then doing intervals of power walking and jogging BEFORE flat out running? Build your endurance and strength. The best plan out there for running is http://www.c25k.com/

C25K stands for Couch to 5K and is a 9 week program for training for a 5K and building up to it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Right now, yes, I am running until I can't anymore lol!~ a few of the times I bring my son and husband and just run up 2 blocks, walk to them then do that while he is using his tricycle on the way to the park ( at a snails pace mind you lol ) We went on vacation for 4 days out of state then when we got back it rained and then snowed ( minnesota ) so I haven't ran in about a week and so far, the urge isn't totally gone but I know I will have to almost restart, I went on the C25k the PP mentioned and that seems great!! I guess I fear starting out too slow may not motivate me enough but I am very out of shape, currently at 30lbs/40lbs to be back to thin lol!~and an ex smoker of only 18 months so I am really wanting to be healthy.. good for you on how far you've come since Sept wow!~ that's amazing. Good luck on your marathon. I hope to do a 5k in Oct..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I started by going to X point---then the next week I'd make it to X point and a little bit further...continue that until you're running the distances you're trying for! Have fun!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2011