Should I let my son believe in Santa?

I'm torn here! I feel that if I let my son believe in Santa then I'm setting him up for a major let down later on. But I don't want to take the innocence and joy that comes with believing in Santa away from him. He's almost 8 months old now. Advice?

NewArrival

Asked by NewArrival at 9:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are only a child once. Some people here have said in past posts that it's lying to your child. I don't understand that theory and I didn't subscribe to it when my sons were little boys. Let a child be a child in all their innocence and imagination. Did your parents let you believe? And if so, when you found out Santa wasn't real did you feel betrayed by your parents or did it ruin your entire belief system? It didn't mine and I, in no way, felt betrayed by my parents. It did change Christmas for me a little but I also believed in the Easter Bunny and we know he's not real either. I still celebrate those holidays and they're still magical but in a different way but magical non the less. Kids should be kids....they'll be adults soon enough. Sorry so long....I just had this same conversation with my SIL a couple of days ago and it's still fresh on my mind...LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Go for it!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• absolutely let him believe children only have that magical innocence for a short time
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I believed in santa and I don't remember being disappointed really bad. so even if he is a little disappointed, its not going to be life altering or anything. Let him believe while he is still little and he will figure it out one day!
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 10:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have debated about this for a LONG time. I have finally decided to let her believe. I was concerned because when *I* found out Santa wasn't real, I was UPSET, I mean I felt betrayed, like I couldn't trust my parents, and I felt like they had played me for a fool. I was VERY upset about it and I did NOT take it well. However, I know a family who did Santa with their 2 oldest and by the time their third was of age, they had decided not to do it with him. That kid has NO imagination what so ever. I really think allowing all the make believe and the magic really helps shape their imagination. Seriously is may be jsut part of his personality, but he is SO unimaginative for his age, he takes things so seriously and it's really hard to make him laugh and he just does not play make believe games well.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'm teaching my daughter about the story of St. Nick and am going to explain to her the tradition behind that.... so in a way we are doing Santa Clause.... but not the "if your not good santa won't bring you toys" .... it will be more in a way of helping others by giving them things.... and I plan on donating to less fortunate children and showing her all about that kind of thing.... that holidays are for giving... but she'll still get gifts and beable to play the "santa" gig..... I think it's important to teach compassion instead of greed, which I know Santa isn't ment to teach greed... but to a little kid it's awefully hard to understand the giving part of the holidays when you get gifts thrown at you like crazy... .hahah
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 10:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• WELL..... It also had a lot to do with trusting my parents in the first place, because they played me for a fool A LOT, so the fact that Santa had been a lie all along just really did not sit well, and I was upset about it for a LOOONG time. BUT it's all about how you parent in the first place... if you raise your child to trust you, then he will understand that Santa was make believe, and it was a fun game that you let him have as a child that really was fun. SO just as long as you do it right, and aren't really untrustworthy in the first place like my dad. Like I said, I had BIG issues with finding out Santa wasn't real, and I am still doing it with my daughter.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I did believe in Santa... but I don't remember finding out that he is make believe. I talked it over with Daddy and we've decided to let him believe in Santa. We don't want to take away from his magical innocence. Thank you guys for the wonderful, and helpful answers!
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 10:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'm debating the same with my son who will only be 4 months this Christmas so won't understand yet but I feel the same way. I think I might feel stupid saying "Santa's coming!" knowing damn well he's not. But I think I will anyway, just because it is the fun in Christmas (even if it's not the importance) And as for the let down later on I don't think it'll be that big of a deal unless he finds out before he's ready. Usually by the time kids realize there is no Santa they could care less anyway.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Talk to your husband(spouse), or family, go with what you believe is right and what will be most accepted as you don't want little jr. to toddle off to great auntie and hear Santa is the devil or doesn't exist, lol, but honestly go with your gut and belief on this don't worry about letting him down.

I grew up not believing in him, my husband did, our medium is that we do some of the traditions of the books, movies, music and laying out cookies, but we're honest to our children and let them know it's part of the holiday spirit and for fun.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2008