I know this question gets asked alot, i am having trouble with my BM supply.

So i had trouble at first getting my milk to come in after 4 days though it finally did. I did not have any trouble after that really until these last few days i am not getting much at all. Around 20 to 30 ml. From both sides combined. I am not able to nurse and have not been able to yet because my son has been in the NICU with a feeding tube. I really would like for him to use my milk and be able to BF when the tube comes out but as i said my supply is slowly getting smaller and smaller. I pump 15 min on each side every 3 hours at night and every 1 to 2 hours during the day as i was told but am coming up empty handed. He eats more than i can pump. Please help me. Thank you.

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 4:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stress will keep it low, I know that's prob difficult right now :) You can massage your breasts while your pumping too. If you're not in the NICU w/him, be looking at pics of him for stimulation.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You can try to nurse more at night, like every two hours. I know that doesn't do much for your sleep but your milk producing hormones are highest at night, increasing pumping at night for even a few nights in a row might also boost production during the day. I know it's so hard. Be proud of yourself for giving it a go and try to stay motivated, it will all be worth it if you get a chance to really nurse once your baby is better and in your arms. And if you hit a wall and it just doesn't work out despite your best efforts don't let anyone make you feel like a failure either. Your best is all you can do, Mama. Good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• if you go to the foreign food section in your local super market, they have this stuff called "Malta" It's a carbonated malt drink. My mom swears to god that it increases milk supply. She also said that when she was low on milk, she'd sometimes drink a dark beer....lol, she also swears that works. I had enough milk for 3 babies, so i never had to deal with it. But, my mom had 6 kids & knows what she's talking about....

An ingredient in beer has been shown to increase maternal prolactin levels, but this is with non-alcoholic beers too. That is kind of what the malta is. It's a non alcoholic malt beverage & it's a bit sweet.

It doesn't work for other alcoholic beverages though, it has to be beer. I'd stick to the non-alcoholic stuff just to be on the safe side.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I pump exclusively for my lil one, and when i find im not able to pump anything, I take fenugreek. Its an herb u get from GNC- i got mine at rite aid, you take 3 pills 3 times a day, I notice a difference after 1 day. Once your supply goes up, you can stop taking it. When it dips again, start back on it.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011