What happens at swim lessons for 1 yr old?

My 13 months old starts his swim lessons tonight. They class is for 1 & 2 year olds. It is the "Goldfish" class at our local YMCA. Any idea what we'll do? I hope since there is 2 year olds, it's not too advanced stuff for my little stud muffin.

And probably a really dumb questions - but I'll be getting in the pool too, right?

smfeld

Asked by smfeld at 4:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I took my sons the moms got in the pool too so be prepared for that, at least. They will have the children doing age appropriate stuff and hopefully it will be a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Some kids like it, some don't. Don't have your child do anything you are not comfortable with. Hope it's fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My daughter is 18 months and in her second round of swim classes but at our ymca they call it 'parent tot swim' The classes are basically to teach the kids water safety and what to do if they fall in the water. Our instructor uses songs to teach the children what to do. They learn how to blow bubbles climb out of the pool/get to the edge, how to blink water from their eyes, and how to float on their back. The songs make it a lot of fun! Our classes have 6 months-3years.
    Kristyna-223

Answer by Kristyna-223 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• At the Y, they don't go in w/out a parent until they are 3. At 1 and 2, the parent goes in with them and they just get them used to the water. There is no actual "swimming" involved, but they just do things like teach them to grab on to the side of the pool, jump to their parent from the side of the pool, float on their back (w/ parent holding them) and some kids learn to go underwater.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 2:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011