Stupid question about sucker fish

Let me start off by saying I'm NOT a fish person, but my kids ended up with them. We just got a sucker fish today, does it need real food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pets

• it needs something it eat off the bottom
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Sucker fish... You got a Plat?

Unless your tank is incredibly filled with algae and particulate matter, you will need to supplement it's diet. Also, how many fish do you have in your tank. How many gallons is it?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have no idea what kind of fish it is, it's tiny, the guys said it would be the best because it doesn't get very big. The tank is 3 gallons, and the only other fish in it is a beta. What do I need to feed it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• First, identify what it is. There are several supplements which are broad spectrum feed- and are good for most of the algae eaters.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You mean a plecostamus? The kind that stick to the side? My son used to call them 'stuck fish' when he was younger! Plecos will eat the algae off the sides, but in case that isn't enough they do sell foods aimed at algae-eaters. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have no idea what it is, all I know is that it eats algae and he'll stay small, lol. I think we'll be ok, I had some shells in my daughters old tank that have algae on them, so I put one in the tank to keep his belly full for now. Thanks ladies :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Lol, I had one that lived off of cheetos in college :)
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 6:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Lora, that's funny, lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2011