Opinions please

What do you think about young people (16-21) having children?

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 4:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Lets see I had my daughter when I was just a week shy of turning 20. I am a good mother and never cared for partying or going out for that matter. I worked to support her and yes for the first few months after her birth her father and I did have help getting started. Only in receiving food stamps. I never wanted to be one to take from my parents who had enough to just take care of themselves. In her eight years of life other then getting food stamps at the beginning I have only asked my mother for 1 pack of diapers. I think it is unfair to say that just because they are young that they can not be self sufficient and care for their kid. Not all young people like to party. I have seen older people party just as much and ask their parents for help. In this day and age it happens. People are gonna need help no matter their age. I would like to see people do more before having children as well but it happens.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I wish they would wait until they are done with their party stage but I have actually seen some really good parents come from people in that age bracket.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• A small few can handle it but the majority can't.
    Anonymous

• i usually think financially, in these situations. can they support the baby, without financial support from parents/PA? usually, not. (not always true with someone as old as 21...) personally, i'd rather someone either go to college or begin their career, and get all their 'me-so-crazy-like-to-party' time out of their system before becoming responsible for another human. but that's not the case for a lot of parents.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i am 19 and have twins that are two years old. yes, it's very hard. i struggle to keep up with work, the kids, and school these days. But there are young mothers (like myself), who accept their responsibilities to their children and can be a good parent. Others though, dont realize what it means to be a mom. thats the sad part..
    mommieoftwo8

Answer by mommieoftwo8 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Both of my pregnancies were between 19 and 21, and I feel I am a good mom. I love my kids, I continued going to school, I have a good job. I dont recomend having kids that young but I havent been upset about not being able to go party or anything. I guess it just depends on the person though. Some people arent ready to have kids at 18 or 19, at the same time some people arent ready at 25 either..
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I had my dd a month after I turned 18 and she was also a teen mom, so I dont judge. I know good parents can happen and did happen with her and I at that age.

Answer by gemgem at 4:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As long as they take care of them and are good Mom's thats all that matters. A few of my friends growing up got pregnant young & took care of their responsibility well. Yes, they are young, but if it happens hopefully they do what they are supposed to do.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I had my daughter at 19, so I can't really say much...but I do know that I had gone through things nobody will ever go through in their lifetime by that point in my life, so I was ready...I think most people those ages really aren't ready though.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's not my place to judge...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011