My 4 year old daughter is super sensitive and it is really wearing on me. It seems she crys and throws tantrums all the time.

I am a stay at home mom and maybe that is why my daughters behavior is wearing on me. My son didn't do this. My daughter crys and throws tantrums on a daily basis. It seems like everytime I turn around, she is crying about something or repeating what she wants like a million times. She will be playing good with friends and then all of a sudden, it is like she goes into only child mode. She turns on them or starts crying. At first I thought it was sleep, but she gets plenty of it. Then food so I minimized sugar etc, she still has an attitude. Any suggestions?? She is so sensitive. Oh, and when I try the calm and asking her not to cry and that I understand her problem, that so doesn't work. The asking her to talk and not cry doesn't work either. Seriously, she will repeat "mommy, mommy, mommy" or "I want to go..., I want to go..." a million times. Can anybody relate?

sheaschmidt

Asked by sheaschmidt at 4:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Welcome to little girls. DD is 5 and still does that if she doesn't get enough time around kiddos her age. she just needs to be around someone her are that understands her or sadly... makes fun of her for acting that way.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• super sensitive = more eye contact and honey explanaitions...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I ABSOLUTLY relate. My almost 4-year-old DD has recently started doing the same thing! AT first I thought maybe her bff was being a negative influence (she is going through a lot right now -- and does this too) -- but now I believe it's just a stage. I have an older daughter as well -- and if you think THIS is bad, just wait until all the emotion from the teen years starts to surface! When my DD starts the crying/whining/repeating herself stuff, I send her to her room until she can talk to me like a "big-girl." That usually works -- for now anyway! :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i TOTALLY CAN RELATE TO THIS...*I am sending you E-hugs*!~~ I stopped being able to deal with it and when tantrums erupt, he goes in his room - he is SO sensitive he needs reassurance after words that I still love him.. he was diagnosed already at 3-1/2 of severe anxiety - you might want to look in to that - I haven't gotten many tools to help with it but I understand your frustration. Also, we took a course on Love and Logic and that seems to ease it a bit also - check it out!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have a sensitive three year old who would velcro himself to me if possible and gets flipped out about the darndest things, and repeats everything a million times so I can relate. We are trying to teach him the word patience, and with the 50 words a week he adds to his vocabulary--this one is going to be the biggest challenge.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thank you all for the feedback. I is nice that I am not just over reacting and that this is somewhat normal for little girls. Sometimes, I feel as if I am not doing enough, but not sure what to do more off if you know what I mean. I hope it is just a stage that hopefully she grows out of. It is way too stressful and hard for me and I think her too. It is a waste of energy. @baileysmom, I have tried the talk like a "big girl" and that seems to help some. If anything it makes her stop and think about it. haa haa Thanks again for sharing and giving advice. Cheers!
    sheaschmidt

Comment by sheaschmidt (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!?! My four year old girl is suddenly over-emotional about everything. If she hits her sister she cries and says "I didn't know I shouldn't hit her" She cries about school (she has been there 3 years, has same teachers as her older sis) yet, once I go down the hall and come back to peek in she is FINE!! She cries when she stays with Grandma. If she is not crying she is telling me I never do... or demanding whatever it is she wants at the time. Then 5 minutes later she is happy as can be. It is a roller coaster not just for her but me. I have started telling her that she needs to be a big girl and that if she wants to go to big school (kindergarten) that she has to do her job. Her "job" is to use her words to tell me what she needs and to think about how she is hurting my feelings/sis feelings by being mean. I am an educator with a focus on early childhood and I have no suggestions except hang in there!!!
    lrca

Answer by lrca at 12:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011