Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

My son is in dcf custody because false allegations were made im trying to get him back but my attorny wants me to sign over permanant custody to dcf what should i do?

my attorny says signing over permanent custody doesnt mean im giving up my rights it jus means that its giving me more time to do everything dcf wants me to. he said if i dont sign over permaneb custody they can terminate my case nd give him up for adoption. i dont see how though i am doing everything they have asked me to do, nd as far as im concerned he got taken for no reason i love him so much nd i wanna do the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by boo420 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 3 (21 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I would be getting a new attorney!!!

    Answer by wendydays at 5:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • bullshit, fire him and hire a new one. you don't sign anything over for something you didn't do!!

    Fight it, look for whatever proof you can, agree to any parenting classes and mental exams they want you to do.

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • They can not terminate your rights unless you have refused to work your service plan for at least a year. Do not sign over permanant custody -- I suggest looking for a new lawyer with your best interest in mind. I work with CPS foster/adoptive children and the current trend is to send the child home with a bio parent unless they are deemed unsuitable and not interested or incapable of changing to become a good parent.

    Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Get a new attorney!! And do it NOW!

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • thanx guys i really appreciate the advice..........he is my first nd even though i went through as a kid its hard goin through it for my own deff gonna look into a new attorny......thanx so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Comment by boo420 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Be sure you inform CPS that you have ABSOLUTLY NO INTENTION of signing your child over and that you will do whatever necessary to get him back -- There is some (unknown) reason your crummy lawyer is suggesting you do this.

    Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Call your local bar assoc. for a free or low cost consult w/ a new attorney. You need to get another opinion about this & quick! Is there a Guardian Ad Litem (sp?) on this case? If so, can you talk to that person. Hell, I'd ask the Judge at the next hearing. I'd also round up character witnesses, bring in a home druge test to prove you're clean, etc. Do whatever is necessary to get your child back. GL!

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Can you comply to what they want? I am confused as what happened,, usually they return kids to the home, if nothing is found to be true ( I don't want you to think this is your case) but it seems to me that you need to have a doctor evaluation of yourself,, if you are proved sane and reasonalbe,,, why are they not allowing him to be with you at least sometimes,,new attorney is good advice, but you need to tell us why he was taken from you in the first place, so perhaps we can help better!

    Answer by kimigogo at 5:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Get another lawyer and quick

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Why was your child taken?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.